Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Holden Rodeo: Hi, I have a 2000 holden rodeo turbo diesel.

Hi, I have...
I have a 2000 holden rodeo turbo diesel. the problem is when I don't drive it for a week or so it has a fuel pickup problem. it has no problems starting and will run until lines are out of fuel and then I have to pump/prime to keep it running. sometimes I have to do this twice and then it will run sweet for as long as I drive it. if I drive it every day no problems. any ideas what could be causing this?
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/16/2014
AU Auto Mechanic: Clement, Diagnostic Technician replied 8 years ago
Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician

Your Rodeo's fuel system has 2 fuel pumps, the first is the low pressure electric in tank pump which is part of the sender. When you turn the key in the ignition and crank the engine, this electric pump is the one responsible for delivering fuel to the filter housing/reservoir (the one with the hand pump).

From here, with a full reservoir, fuel is then sucked towards the high pressure side through the mechanically driven high pressure pump, which then delivers fuel to the rail at a high pressure.

What you have is consistent with a failed one way valve/low pressure fuel pump. The valve itself is found within the pump unit. When the engine is turned off, the low pressure lines to the fuel filter housing have a residual pressure that has to be maintained. A failed valve will cause the fuel to "leak" back towards the tank. It is also very likely that your low pressure pump (if still the original one) is worn and not able to deliver the required amount of fuel to the filter housing.

I would recommend replacing the in tank fuel pump. Most workshops will charge 1-2hrs labour + parts. All up I would expect a bill of around $300 - $400, with a good quality pump.

I would recommend either a genuine GM Holden pump, or a quality Bosch fuel pump. There are cheaper alternatives such as Fuel Miser etc, however from experience those have a very high failure rate and it is really a case of you get what you pay for!

Hope I've helped, let me know how you go.
Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician

Have checked fuel tank and can only find a sender for fuel gauge and there are no pipes coming off the sender. Are the pipes and pump inside the tank and do they hook to the fuel line internally. All pipes pickup and return are welded to the tank.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Have you got the 4JJ1 motor?

Not sure. Built date: 05/2000 2.8 turbo diesel

Vin/ Chassis: JAATFS55HY114138

Does your sender in the tank look like this:

Sorry no picture came through. engine looks like a 4JB1

The sender is circular and held in by 5 or 6 screws and has only a power wire connected to it.

Yes... The 2.8L 4JB1 turbo. Those were an older design and did not have the low pressure lift pump in the tank. Because of this, they are very seceptable to air ingress. Two places where this air leak can occur come to the mind - the hand pump diaphragm and the injector pump seals. To test this you will need a hand vacuum pump.

If it is the injector pump, there is a rebuild kit available for this, I do remember rebuilding one about 7-8 years ago. It is pretty involved as you have to mark/keep the pump timing as you are removing the pump.

You might have to take it to the dealer for this one. You can ring up for a few quotes before taking it down for them to confirm the problem.

Ok Clemet,

Thanks for your time on this problem and hopefully you have solved it for me.

Cheers

Not a problem happy to help. Fingers crossed it's not the injection pump!