Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

The accelerador on a 2003 Audi A4 Quattro v6 3000 CC is far

T'he accelerador on a 2003...
T'he accelerador on a 2003 Audi A4 Quattro v6 3000 CC is far to sensitives. Can it be adjusted
7/21/2013
Marty
Marty, Australia Car Mechanic
Hi, my name isXXXXX uses an electronic throttle actuator for the accelerator. There is no adjustment provision for the throttle actuator. Sometimes the throttle actuator can become sticky due to carbon build up. You can have the throttle bore inspected and cleaned and that may alleviate the situation. You can also have the accelerator pedal checked for ease of movement and make sure that nothing is impeding it's travel. One last thing that you can try is having the throttle readapted with the Audi tester. I don't think that readapting the throttle will help but it may be worth a try. Your best bet is to have the throttle bore cleaned and make sure that the throttle pedal is moving freely. I'm assuming that the check engine light is not on. If the light is on you should have the fault codes checked in the engine control module. There may be fault codes stored that relate to this problem.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thankyou for your response. We acquired this car a short time ago but having owned many vehicles previously, are surprised at the need to constantly avoid relaxing the foot to the point of making driving very tiring. When activated by hand or more precisely, finger tip, the pedal does not appear to have any impediment but your point about the actuator is worth considering.

You mentioned having the throttle readapted, what does that mean and will it provide resistance at the pedal?

No, the check light is not on but thanks for the tip.

Are you suggesting that there may be fault codes stored regardless of the fact that the check light is not on?

Incidentally, the car originated from Japan and we are in New Zealand.

Hi Kerry, the throttle adaption will not change the feel of the throttle it would only affect the initial starting off. If the actuator was binding it may make the car very jerky on acceleration. It sounds like you are complaining about the resistance on the pedal. I'm wondering if you could have a technician install a spring on the pedal to create a heavier feel. You might also consider using the cruise control more often.

Hopefully for you this may be our last question. Our main problem occurs from starting off or accelerating away at slow speeds in city traffic. Are we to understand that the throttle adaptation, as you described, is the most likely cause and is it a relatively straight forward exercise. We don't wish to drag this issue out but as we intermittently experience a thump when the box changes from first to second, and never at another time, could the erratic throttle be responsible or is this just an Audi thing? the rest of the vehicle seems to be close to faultless.

Hi Kerry, if you are mainly feeling this on initial take off then the throttle body cleaning may cure this. When the throttle body gets grimy it is most noticeable on initial take off. The readaption of the throttle body syncs the throttle pedal with the throttle body. I think it's worth doing but I would try the throttle body cleaning first. The adaption may also improve the transmission shifting although the Audi transmission is known for an odd feel when shifting on occasion.
Marty
Marty, Australia Car Mechanic
Marty
Marty
Marty, Australia Car Mechanic