Australia Car

Hi there , I have a BA Falcon XR6 which starts missing

Hi there , I have...

Hi there , I have a BA Falcon XR6 which starts missing mildly once hot and at idle it runs a bit rough also . If its reved quickly the motor sometimes cuts out when motor drops back to an idle . Its done 123000kms , 6cyl Auto - no gas or turbo .The problem seems fine when the motor is cold , only an issue once everything is at normal... Read full answer

Hi there , I have a BA Falcon XR6 which starts missing mildly once hot and at idle it runs a bit rough also . If its reved quickly the motor sometimes cuts out when motor drops back to an idle . Its done 123000kms , 6cyl Auto - no gas or turbo .The problem seems fine when the motor is cold , only an issue once everything is at normal running temp  Thanks for your help , cheers Brett

9/28/2012
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy, Auto Electrician
Hi Brett and thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vlad.
There are several reasons that could cause the situation you described.
You said you checked spark plugs, but I would start from replacing spark plugs with genuine Ford plugs. I bought my BA falcon XR6 ute with 128000 on the clock it it had pretty worn spark plugs, so I just changed it. You can get it cheap of Ebay.com.au or quicksales.com.au
It is also possible that you have a faulty ignition coil that starts playing when it is hot.If it is a coil, It will be hard to diagnose without a scan tool and they are pretty expensive unless you get it from wreckers.
Also, check your throttle body and thoroughly clean it with carb cleaner and tooth brush and rags.
I have heard that these BA falcons have had some troubles with idling and Ford released new software to fox this issue. Maybe it is worth to see you dealer just to check for available updates. I had my another BA XTsedan updated and it improved transmission shifting algorithm.
Thanks,
Vlad

Hi VLADGMRU , Thanks for keeping contact , i have ordered a set of new VDO coils from ebay and are about to head into town to grab some new sparkplugs , i remember when i had the plugs out they had a huge gap so hopefully by replacing the coils and plugs it will fix the issue . I will ley you know how i get on , thanks Brett

Hi Brett,
Please do not hurry to replace coils.
Change the spark plugs at first and see how it goes.
If it runs OK, then do not replace the ignition coils because genuine coils could be more reliable then aftermarket even though it is VDO.
Please let me know how it turns out.
Regards,
Vlad
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy, Auto Electrician

Hi Vlad

The new coils turned up today and i grabbed the new plugs as well . Put the lot in and went for a good drive and all seems fine now . I put in the Ford 32Z plugs gapped at 1.3mm , got 6 new VDO coils off ebay for $145 . Thanks for your help , i was thinking a coil as it only played up when hot , fingers crossed its all good now . I can give it a quick rev when hot now and the motor comes back to an idle , doesn't cut out so all looks good , thanks for your input , cheers Brett

Hi Brett,
I am happy to hear your Falcon is ruuning good now.
Have a nice day.
Cheers,
Vlad
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Missing on idle in drive. 6cyl 280 ooo. Ba 2003. Just pup
missing on idle in drive JA: How many miles are on the Ford? What size is the engine? Customer: 6cyl 280 ooo JA: What is the model/year of your Ford? Customer: ba 2003 JA: Are you fixing your vehicle … read more
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy
Auto Electrician,
BA Falcon XR6 replaced inlet manifold gasket new injectors
BA Falcon XR6 replaced inlet manifold gasket new injectors new spark plugs. Car starts runs for 10 seconds very high idle then starts missing badly. Loses injector pulse while running. Turn ignition o… read more
Engineer,
When it runs its black smoke, wont rev and stalls out. is ba
when it runs its black smoke, wont rev and stalls out. is ba 05 not illuminating engine light … read more
Gary
Gary
Gold Certified Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
Will here ,, how do I reprogram my ba xr6 2005 auto,,, iv
Hi Will here ,, how do I reprogram my ba xr6 2005 auto,,, iv unhooked battery an pumped brakes an 30 minutes latter itz idling with a bad miss ( wot do I do ). Help please.… read more
Engineer,
Have an au ute dual fuel car starts and idles fine both
have an au ute dual fuel car starts and idles fine both fuels when driven it seems to surge and cough splutter wont run if you plant foot it accelerates fine but will not hold constant speed weather o… read more
trade certificate
,own 2003 ba futura sedan 6cyl automatic starts and runs
Hi,own 2003 ba futura sedan 6cyl automatic starts and runs OK but idle will drop now and again.when u use pedal normal take off it seems to miss and take a couple a seconds to take off it will acceler… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Ford Falcon: Hi Glenn, I have a 2008 Ford Falcon BF 1 tonner
Hi Glenn, I have a 2008 Ford Falcon BF 1 tonner with a column auto 4 speed box. The box has been dropping back to 3rd on the freeway for no apparent reason intermittently. Any ideas? I have had the bo… read more
Mechanic Martyn
Mechanic Martyn
Australia Car Mechanic,
Ford falcon: I have a 2003 ba v8 falcon ute when i start it
I have a 2003 ba v8 falcon ute when i start it it revs at 2000rpm then drops to 1100 rpm and seems to run fine just idles high. But if it drops below 1000rpm it sounds like its only running on 6cyl an… read more
Automotive Diagnostic Specialist,
General auto certifications
Ford Falcon Futura: Hi, we have a 2003 BA Falcon Wagon with
Hi, we have a 2003 BA Falcon Wagon with 195 000km that has a cold start misfire issue. The symptoms appear to be temperature related, where the symptom is worse the colder it is. At first start in the… read more
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
Ford AU Falcon sedan Ford AU Falcon 6cyl Auto. Petrol/gas. When
Ford AU Falcon 6cyl Auto. Petrol/gas. When engine started the temp gauge rises to hot at the highest point, and it runs rough. It wont run at all on gas since the fault arised. The coolant, oil etc is… read more
Mechanic Martyn
Mechanic Martyn
Australia Car Mechanic,
Ford au falcon my au falcon series 1, 6 cyl, transmission
my au falcon series 1, 6 cyl, transmission goes into "limp mode" after 20 mins of driving. have fitted external oil cooler and checked oil level. what could be problem?… read more
Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley
Australian Car Mechanic,
falcon: that run well..start unless..10 - 20 minutes
We have an ED falcon that run well. We have had the vehicle for a long time and its been very reliable. Recently it has developed a mysterious problem. The engine will stop and will not start unless l… read more
Clement
Clement
Stop searching for answers—
falcon: towing..Auto Trans cooler..it bypass the Radiator unit...pwr
I have a Sept 2010 FG 50th Ann falcon 6spd auto, towing a caravan, should I use an Auto Trans cooler, and should it bypass the Radiator unit. I was advised to use a PWR bypassed cooler on the XR8 4spd… read more
Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley
Australian Car Mechanic,
I have a 1985 hj75 with a 2H. My problem is that as the engine
I have a 1985 hj75 with a 2H. My problem is that as the engine temp reaches normal the oil preassure drops to below 15psi. This worries me as this is way off speck. the motor has been rebuilt and this… read more
TTVN
TTVN
OWNER/MANAGER,
MOTOR MECHANIC
2005 ford: turbo sedan..3500-4000 revs and backfires..3000 rpm
have 2005 ford xr6 turbo sedan when it is cold it is fine however once it is at operating temperature it will not rev past 3500-4000 revs and backfires,if it is a hot day it will not go over 3000 rpm,… read more
looking to buy a 2002 ba xr6 trubo, manual trans 82,000km.
looking to buy a 2002 ba xr6 trubo, manual trans 82,000km. Is there anything machanically I should be looking out for?… read more
trade certificate
My 1991 Nissan s engine starts cutting out and sometimes stalling
My 1991 Nissan´s engine starts cutting out and sometimes stalling after running for about 10 - 15 minutes. The ECM light also starts flickering around the same time. I suspected the distributor and re… read more
trade certificate
2002 ford falcon: the best high performance spark plug..non turbo
Hello, i was just wanted to know what's the best high performance spark plug for a 2002 ford falcon xr6(non turbo)… read more
trade certificate