Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Rough..automatic..litre..trusted workshops/mechanics in Sydney that…

Customer Question
hi, would like a rough...
hi, would like a rough figure on how much it would cost of convert from automatic to manual for a 2005, VZ, 6 litre (clubsport). recommend trusted workshops/mechanics in Sydney that can do the job.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/24/2011
AU Auto Mechanic: James, Australia Car replied 10 years ago
James, Australia Car

This conversion will cost around $8000 this price will also vary on where you get the parts from and if they are new or not.

You will require

Clutch
Gearbox
Gearbox mounts
Bell housing
ECU
Gearbox loom
New Dash cluster
Pedal box
And a few other things too .

In my experience its much more expensive to do this conversion then it would be to just sell your car and buy a manual.

The big item in regards XXXXX XXXXX a VZ is changing the computer and dash and associated looms as its all controlled via the ECU

Jd Racing are pretty good at conversions.
XXXXXBotany there phone number is XXXXX 9890

If you can get a guy called ashur to do your work he is pretty good.
If not these guys are all pretty good.

I hope this assists

Regards
what do you mean by where you get the parts from, aren't they supplied by the workshop?
Hi there

Lets just say if you want all the parts supplied new im sure they would be more than willing to buy them from holden new.

I assume you want a holden 6 speed manual " thats a tremic gearbox"

The cost of the parts new would be very expensive i think the box alone is around $6000.

The duel mass flywheel and clutch new from holden.its about $2900

Thus the reason i would expect you may want to supply your own parts

If you were to use all new parts I would expect the cost to blow out to over $14,000

Sorry for any confusion, if you need any more info please feel free to ask.

Regards Joel
thanks for that, now out of the list of parts is there any one in particular that should be a genuine holden part or does it not matter?do you know of any other workshops apart from jc racing?
Hi there

Well the clutch and flywheel can be an after market brand there are many out there.

All the other items you pretty much want have to be genuine.

When you car shell comes out of the factory its a standard VZ/VY commodore bare shell. They then add the extras to make it what it is.

Example.

An auto is the same body as a manual but with a pedal box bolted into the floor pan at the factory.

So by getting a genuine pedal box this will then allow the workshop to bolt it in to your cars shell no cutting or welding under your dash.

Same goes for the gearbox and dash cluster.All genuine parts should just drop and plug straight in. The last thing you want the workshop to be doing is cutting and welding parts into your car.

The genuine bell housing will bolt straight up to your V8 and the gearbox will bolt to the belhousing.

This is why you want to stay as genuine as possible.

With workshops there are quiet a few around that will do the work.
Even your holden dealer will do the work, but you did ask for one i think will do a good job.

Also you really want a workshop that has experience with conversions so they do not start cutting and welding when things dont fit.

I hope this helps

Regards

Joel
What are your thoughts

Regards

Joel
Hi, thanks for clarifying there is a lot of thinking to be done before we go ahead. Think I will have to see what jc and Holden have to offer.

By the way the car consumes a lot of fuel, eg a trip from botany to taren point can use approximately 1/4 tank, any ideas why, does it need tuning?

There is not a lot that you can do in relation to getting better fuel consumption than factory, things like exhaust senders and throttle position senders being faulty can also increase your fuel consumption.

Best thing to do is get a ECU scan to see whats not working.

The VZ clubsport has your fuel usage on the dash, reset it at 100ks an hour on cruse control flat ground not up or down hills and if you get under 11.5 lts per 100kms your doing pretty well. just keep driving till you get a reading. it normally takes a km or 2
James, Australia Car