Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Opel: muffler..leaking..a loud pop under the bonnet coming..steering…

I own an Opel Astra...
I own an Opel Astra - Badged Holden. 1 week ago I got it back from being repaired. I had to replace the muffler and the tappet cover gasket as it was leaking. 5 days later I was reversing and heard a loud 'pop' under the bonnet coming from the left hand side (right hand drive steering). I fear this may be some sort of gasket. I have checked the oil and levels and they seem fine with no discolouration. I have noticed, 24hrs from the 'pop' that the coolant tank now has a brown contaminated colour to it, and my car smells very bad when parked in the garage. Any thoughts?
1/17/2011
AU Auto Mechanic: Clement, Diagnostic Technician replied 11 years ago
Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician
Am I correct to say that you have an automatic transmission? Can you tell me the colour of the oil on the auto trans dip stick? Also, if you leave the engine running, can you see any bubbles in the coolant overflow tank? Does the car drive any differently now?
It's a 5 speed manual. The dipstick the oil is normal dark brown colour. The car doesn't seem to respond differently than it used too. There are no bubbles in the coolant overflow tank
Thanks for the info. Just a few more questions:

• was the coolant a clean green before the pop, was it changed recently?
  • with the engine running, can you smell exhaust fumes in the overflow bottle or radiator (remove the cap carefully with a wet rag or wait till cold)?

The car underwent a full service less than 1 week ago. The spark plugs were changed, oil and coolant as well. I've had a closer look at the coolant and it still seems to be green. The coolant container seems to have a stain, possibly from blowing my head gaskett about 1.5 yrs ago.

So the main problem was the popping sound, which concerned me and then the car smells like a burnt oil i guess. No performance change or anything else of concern.

Is this the sort of problem that I may have to treat symptomatically? Do you have any initial ideas?

Yes a brown stain in the reservoir is fine as long as the coolant is clean and unaffected. From your description it sounds like everything is ok at the moment, especially if the car is still running fine. What you may find is that you have run over a plastic bag which has popped and then melted onto your exhaust and is giving off a burnt smell. This is not uncommon, I have seen this a few times now and you can either drive it till the plastic burns off completely, or get an oxy acetylene torch and burn the remnants off the exhaust. Have a look under your vehicle and see if you can find anything!
Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician