Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

I'm driving a Mitsubishi Delica, model 95. Seems like the

Hi there, I'm driving a...
Hi there, I'm driving a Mitsubishi Delica, model 95. Seems like the central diff is not locking. Got bogged down in sand, no front wheel spinning, only rear wheels spinning... Had central diff activated (locked) in high and low range as well. Still front wheels would not move. Is this a typical problem? What to do to fix it? Thanks so much!
6/30/2010
Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley, Australian Car Mechanic
Hi, it's Glenn here, I can help you with your question.
No this is not a typical problem, Has the car been driven on road with the diff lock engaged at any time?

Hi Glenn, thanks for offering to answer this question. The car was imported from Japan and we have not used 4WD or central locks before - but can't say what happend in Japan of course... We've completed a 4WD training recently and that's when we found out that the front wheels do not spin, even though the rear wheels both are spinning and the rear wheels dugg in to the sand. A mechanic tested the 4WD and could only say so far that drive train and shaft up to the front wheels would turn in 4WD. But it seems that no torque goes to the front wheels. In the sand at least one of the front wheels should have spun as well, if the rear both are spinning freely in the sand. Do you know what problem this might indicate? Do you think the central lock might not be working? If so, is there electrical whiring that could be checked before opening up the transfer case? It might just be an electric problem - that's why I was hoping there might be a typical issue with Padjero/Delica. r more specific the 'super select' 4WD.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Ok, yes there is a systematic approach to diagnosing transfer problems on these vehicles before performing any mechanical repairs to the transfer unit itself. Click the following link or copy & paste it to your browser http://www.obd-obdii.com/Data%20sheets/L300_delica%20trans.pdf
Don't forget that if you have any more questions or you are unsure of what I mean in the information provided please ask for more clarification, I'm only too happy to work with you to achieve a good result. Cheers Glenn.

Hi Glenn, thanks again for your answer, however, the link provided specifies the L300 if I'm correct. I'm sorry if this was not clear form my question before, but I drive:

Delica 95, or L400, model with bonnet, 2.8 turbo diesel, 4WD, automatic transmission.

Could you please let me know for this model?

Thanks again, Thorsten

Hi Thorsten, the file is correct for your model, it covers L300, Delica L400 but for the manual gearbox only, although the transfer cases for both manual and automatic are probably identical. As you did not specify in earlier communication, I assumed it was manual transmission, I should have asked you. The "super select" 4wd transfer case does have the centre differential in there, looking in the Mitsubishi service/repair manual for the transfer case it is a relatively simple system. If you are not confident to carry out the electronic diagnosis yourself I would say that you would need to locate an automatic transmission specialist that does electronic diagnostics as well (most do), let them check it for you. It maybe just an electronic control problem, not activating the centre diff lock, but accurate diagnosis is required to be sure.

Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley, Australian Car Mechanic
Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley, Australian Car Mechanic