Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

5.7L..main wiring harness curving around the rhs strut tower..12v…

Customer Question
On 2000 to 2001 5.7L...
On 2000 to 2001 5.7L holdens commodore/clubsport/statesman, there is a main wiring harness curving around the Rhs strut tower. On the rear of that harness, it has 3 separate wiring looms with 3 separate connector plugs that sit on the top rear of that large curved harness. I have found a fault on these models, that the orange 12v wire on a soldered joint, about 100mm on the large harness side of the rhs connector. The soldered joint corrodes and can cause many different symptoms/problems until open circuited.. What I would like to know is, where are the 3 connectors on the 2003 5.7L clubsport, and the 2005 6L clubsport. They are very similar, but I cant find that section of the loom.. Thanks. Robert
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
AU Auto Mechanic: TTVN, Performance tuner, Diagnostic tech replied 8 years ago
TTVN
TTVN, Performance tuner, Diagnostic tech
Hi Robert
The looms are completely different between the models. The vt and vx are similar but the vy is different and the VZ 6 L different again as they use fly by wire with different pcm

the connectors you speak of are not there on the later models and are connected in beside the glove box with a large white plug

cheers Rod
Hi Rod, no probs. Are the 3 connectors on the vy and vz there together next to the glove box? How can I locate them and what needs to be removed to access them? Its an orange wire that goes from a single, soldered or joined wire, to about 4 other wires.. Just searching for wiring faults at the moment.. Thanks. S
they are all in 1 white connector in beside the glove box behind the l/h kick panel

in the later models the connector is just the 1 white plug
there is a common fault in the old wiring harness that I mentioned, just behind the rhs connector about 2 or 3 inches back from the connector. It has a few wires connected to one, and the joint corrodes which creates a volt drop and a few different symptoms show from it too.. Is the later model designs similar, even though its one connector, and is it common to cause faults in newer models too. The 03 5.7L vy and 05 6L vz models to be specific. Thanks. Robert
On the vy vz about the only harness problem i have encountered is bad earth at the dash harness earth on the body behind the battery....... this tends to cause all sorts of dramas with the demister fan not working properly and the cluster going crazy but i have not had symptoms as you have stated

i might opt out and we will see if anyone else has had a similar problem to you

cheers Rod

No probs.

Thanks Rod!

Robert

sorry not to help more it appears nobody else has had problems like yours either mate