Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Wagon: will not acceleratehave changed oxy Sensor and tps…

Customer Question
My Ba Wagon engine will...
My Ba Wagon engine will not accelerate
Have changed OXY Sensor and TPS Nil Help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Car
6/26/2010
AU Auto Mechanic: Andrew, Australia Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Andrew
Andrew, Australia Car Mechanic
Hello, the problem will more than likely be caused by the accelerator pedal module or the wiring harness to it. Andrew.

When I press the accelerator pedal, the engine accelerates very very slowly but it is very rough and theThrottle body buttefly moves, but the acceleration is very poor and engine runs with a very deep roar only to about 1500 RPM then it splutters and then decelerates on its own.It wont stay there.

Is this related to the engine Temp Sensor? ECU Backing it off and islolating some of the Plugs. The engine does warm up quicker than normal or is it a timing problem (The engine has not been apart)

I have already also changed the plugs and checked that the coils are ok.

Hello, it still sounds like the accelerator pedal module or similar, another thing that may cause this is a jammed camshaft phaser, this is what controls the valve timing. Is the brake pedal hard? Andrew.

Hi Andrew

No the brake pedal is not hard

This engine (from what I have read) has two camshaft sensors (High and low) and a crankshaft sensor.

If I press the accelerator pedal and the throttle body valve opens and closes could that still be the pedal sensor? It appears the signal is going from the pedal to the throttle body motor and moving the butterfly. (just thinking out loud)

The camshaft sensor may well be what we are looking at here but which one. Hard to tell without a scanner!!

I look forward to your reply

Andre

Hi, the easiest way to check the camshaft phasers is to remove the rocker cover and using a pipe wrench (in absence of the special tool) try to turn both cams, they should be locked. If you are getting full movement of the throttle butterfly then it wont be the pedal module. The deep roar you have described actually sounds like the the throttle may be wide open so this would make me think that the engine is starving for fuel. A massive vacuum leak will also cause these symptoms, have a good look at the inlet manifold gasket and also the vacuum hoses on the engine. Andrew.

Hi Andrew

I looked at the vacuum hoses today and did not see anything obvious .There is vacuum at the Vacuum motor and no obvios signs of vacuum leakage elsewhere so I guess the next step is to check if the inlet manifold bolts are all tight.I did not hear any hissing/sucking noises while it was running

Just a little more information,this car is also a dual fuel vehicle and it has the same problem on fuel and gas.

Can you give me your e mail address and I can communicate with you tomorrow?

Hi Andrew

I check tightened the inlet manifold as suggested and now the car just cuts out after start up, will not accelerate just the heavy roar and dies.Also difficult to start now

Andre

AU Auto Mechanic: Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
This is a common fault caused by a blocked catalytic converter, all the symptoms you have described match this concern, you can try temporarily disconnecting the catalytic converter at the exhaust manifold, (note: will be very loud) and see if the fault goes and I'm sure that it will.
Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic

Hi Curtis

After 4 days of hell,I disconnected the exhaust and back to normal

Driving to the exhaust shop will be very noisy!!!!

Many Thanks

Andre

No worries, anytime.

If you have any other issues you can ask me directly as this is a vehicle that I specialize in.