Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford falcon: just wouldnt start..spark plugs..pumps..sensors…

hello, my car doesnt start,it...
hello, my car doesnt start,it would crank but not start, for a few days it used to crank but not start but on the second try i would hit the accelrator while starting it and it would start but now it just wouldnt start at all...i got a mechanic to chek it,they said the spark plugs were bad ,we got that changed and it didnt solve the problem,they had the pumps checked,battery was working and couldnt find any problem,so since its got computer sensors in the car,they want to check the problem via reading codes (not sure what exactly they meant) so now im confused what to do? its a Ford falcon XR6 BA (australian) 03 model...any help would be appreciated thanks sean :)
6/26/2010
Mark
Mark, Mechanic
Hi, what your mechanic is going to do is hook up a scan tool to your car. This will read any error codes that have been stored in your cars ECU and will do a diagnostic check of your system. This is the best way to determine the cause of your problems. If the codes are not taken into account then you would be literally guessing as to what the fault may be. This in turn could cost much more than the diagnostic check. I think your mechanic is on the right track to solving your problem. I would be putting money on the crank angle sensor, but the scan will give the best idea. Cheers Mark
hey mark i also assumed that was the best option,but how much do i expect to be charged( rough estimate) the mechanic is a mobile mechanic therfore im having second thoughts on towing the car to a ford dealership and letting them get everything checked that way ill be satisfied...
I can understand your frustration, and yes having the vehicle towed to a Ford Dealer is a good option, however, having the scan tool connected is a very quick procedure and should not cost much. If it is the crank angle sensor then it will also not cost much. Maybe a couple of hundred dollars total including the call out fee. At the end of the day, its up to you. Ford dealers should be able to pinpoint the problem just as easily as the mobile guy, and they may cost a little more, but you will have the satisfaction that the work will be covered by the Ford dealership if something goes wrong. Sorry I cant be much more help to you than that. Cheers Mark
Mark
Mark, Mechanic
hey mark i thought id get back to u on what is happening now, so i took the car to the ford dealership, they said the relay switch needed to be replace,they replaced it and the car started fine so i took it home,the next morning the car wouldnt start again and i was like wot on earth was happening....called ford and they said i need to bring the car in again,today they called me and said the ECU unit had a problem and needs to be replaced, i was very frustrated and they said a new one would cost $2000, i asked them why the car started wen u replaced the relay switch and now u say its the ecu playing up and they didnt give a straight answer,,but they are definite that the ecu i have is got something wrong with it and needs replacement,so now they gave me two options,a genuine one for $2000 or a non genuine one for $1300(only 6month warranty),they also said they are 99.9% sure the car would work after the ecu is replaced...i just called a ford wrecker and they have a few ecus for around $275,,,what should i do man,,,a little frustrated with whats happening so i thought the best i could do is get advice from some1 else....they also said if i buy the new ecu and the car still dosnt start they will refund me the money...but i cant be stuffed wasting time on them gambling on whats wrong with the car...would appreciate your help mate....thankyou :)
I would take the $275 ECU. But I am not sure if it will need to be flashed to accept your key transponder chip. I dont think it will, but I would ask at the wreckers before buying. If not them you should be able to simply plug and play the new ECU. If it needs to be flashed. then you could take it to the dealership or any locksmith that deals in car immobilisers. As I said I dont thing that will be the case. But for $275 its worth a shot. Unfortunately, without being able to see or get my hands on your car, its a bit tough to properly diagnose. Good luck, Cheers Mark