Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 model Pajero IO that has intermittent start…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...
Hi, I have a 2000 model Pajero IO that has intermittent start issues. I believe it is either the immobiliser not completely turning off, as the engine won't turn over, but isn't dead, or the key needs resetting. I have had it flat bedded to the mechanic x 3, and each time they get it off the truck it starts without a hitch. I have also left it for up to a week at a time with the mechanics, and again, starts every day.... I am not taking it personal, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, G
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Australia Car
6/17/2010
AU Auto Mechanic: Technopro, Australia Car Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Technopro
Technopro, Australia Car Mechanic

Hi G,

Welcome to JA, I will try to help you out the best I can but I'll need you to give me some information first.

When the problem happens, does all the lights on the dash come on but when turning the key to START position nothing happens? What happens if you try several times to START position does the engine turn after this? Has anyone look at the ignition switch for possible wear at the contacts?

Cheers

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Basically, everything works on the dash, the alarm is off, the central locking is open, but when you turn the key to the start position, the engine tries to turn over, but it doesn't catch... sometimes it feels like the whole engine block is bouncing about as it tries to turn over, but just can't pull it off.

Hence I wonder if the immobiliser isn't disengaging correctly.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

G

When you say it doesn't catch, do you hear the starter turning but is not catching the motor? Is that what you mean?

Cheers

Yes, it is trying to turn over, and there is noise, and engine shaking etc, but it just doesn't 'turn over' properly.

Thanks,

G

By this description, I think your starter motor might need a good check. Have you noticed if when the engine is hot, you get to start easily?

Hi there,

Once it starts, it generally goes all day... ie, stop and start without issue.... but I tried again this morning, and it is the same result. Last weekend I tried middle of the day, when it was certainly warmer, and no go.

I may need to flat bed it to the Mitsubishi dealership again and see if they can sort it out. Only issue I have, is once it leaves my drive on the truck, it gets to the destination and starts everytime.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,

G

Hi G,

Before you send it to the dealership, can you try leaving your car at a friends place and see if it does the same thing? It might look funny but I know one of my cousin had a wireless control module installed in his house for his lights and this was interfering with the transponder of his car. We spent weeks looking for the problem and then we found out that the signal sent to his house was overiding his transponder. May be worth giving that a try first.

If not, I am sure that there might be a starter problem.

Let me know what is the outcome and best of luck with this.

Cheers

Technopro
Technopro, Australia Car Mechanic

Hi there,

Just to let you know it was in fact the Cam Shaft Sensor! Fixed in a day, and it hasn't missed a beat since.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

G

Technopro
Technopro
Technopro, Australia Car Mechanic