Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Calais: V8..alarm..the light went off and the car started…

Customer Question
I have a VN Calais...
I have a VN Calais V8 5speed, yesterday the remote boot opener failed, and today the remote central looking ceased working, it works OK with the key.There is a tiny light flashing on the electronic radio just above the "tune" buttons, and the alarm has not activated. I disconnected the battery, reconnected it, and the alarm flashing light activated , the car wouldn't start,but no horns sounded, pressed the remote adozen times and the light went off and the car started. I repeated this twice.
I looked in the Max Ellery Manual, no mention of of the remote system, Helphttp://www.justanswer.com/car/australia please Warren
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Australia Car
6/4/2009
AU Auto Mechanic: James, Australia Car replied 13 years ago
James, Australia Car
have you tried replacing the battery in the remote or using a spare if you have one ?
the red light in the remote flashes vigorously , The boot went U/S. and then the next day the central locking would not work either.
Would a weak signal affect the alarm not turning on? Before I went out this evening it was on and it turned off with a couple of pushs on the remote, but after a 3 hour stop it had not activated. I dont have a spare, but I guess that the battery in the remote is 3 years old, having said that the car is only used a couple of times a week. but I will have a new one fitted to morrow just to check. Thanks, Warren.

it sounds like you may have more of a problem than the remote..a week battery can effect the alarm turning on..in some cases...does your key have a silver point comming out of the side of the key...or is it all black apart from the blade of the key

the older commodores had point that touched the ring that goes around the ignition barrell

this is a direct imobiliser

the newer ones came out with proximity sensors ...so they key/button opens the door and turns off the screeming of the alarm but then the proximity sensor in the key turns off the imobiliser when its close to the ignition barrel/key slot

have the battery replacedthats where i would start

also its the cheapest option

see how you go and let me know..we will work it out

Hi Joel, thanks for your suggestion, changed the battery, but no joy.

If I cant find a simple solution, monday, I'll put the car into the auto-elect,as my electrical skills are limited.
Cheers, Warren.

yes there is not much too these systems ...all i can suggest is to find the black box under the dash on the drivers side unscrew the 4 screws...remove and replace the fuse ...in an attempt to reset the system...other than that i think they will try and get you to install an aftermarkey system into your car..

other than that look around door jams ..for wires that are loose or have the sheath taken off them mainly in areas that get pushed arround or open and close ..e.g boot hindge..door jams ....kick pannels ..

i think you may have a fault with the circutry in your alarm reciever box

im sorry i could not assist you further with your question i will opt out incase somone else has any more ideas

Thanks for trying to help Joel, I disconected the battery to reset the system,and all it did was bring the alarm back on, but only once.
The car does not get knocked around, only 95 k's and it looks like it was just driven out of the showroom inside and out, so I dont think any thing has been kicked loose.
but once again , thanks, Warren.
how long did you disconect the battery for ?
Maybe only 10/15 secs, I watched all the interiour lights go out. and then reconected,
Should be longer? Warren.Maybe only 10/15 secs, I watched all the interiour lights go out. and then reconected,
Should be longer? Warren.

couldnt hurt .apart from the codes on the factory radio

i would leave it at least an hr
OK, I'll try that, whats this about codes on the radio? have I stuffed something up? Thanks Warren.OK, I'll try that, whats this about codes on the radio? have I stuffed something up? Thanks Warren.

if youu have a factory security coded radio and you let all the power go out of it for too long the radio will ask you for the security code .pain in the ass...but if you have it wond be a drama ............this has nothing to do with your imobilisor..just giveing you the heads up
Once again thanks Joel, I have all the books so I guess that the code will be in there somewhere. Warren

no problem warren

hope all goes well