Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Audi A-4. Quattro -Avant Wagon in acceleration…

I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Audi A-4. Quattro -Avant Wagon in acceleration i get l vibration and slow speed [10.15mph] in the right rear drive train. How can i tell if it a wheel bearing or CV joint that is bad. It seems to be a little more noiticable on a right tun for a stop, There is no noticeable virbration or rattle at > 20 mph. Nor do i notice it slowing to a stop,

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Right rear, between the wheel-tire and the center differential. I started noting it 2 to 4 weeks back. I drive ~ 50 miles a day minimum and about 1,500 miles / month

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do miner maintenance’ olio change and the like. ANd i

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ve done the rear brakes pads and rotors about 6 months back and didn t notice sue at the time

6/24/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd start by checking for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.

also check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber. Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

and then check the propshaft for a worn joint or the centre bearing is worn or its out of balance

you can easily check for for any slack in the propshaft joints by twisting either half by hand and feeling for any play as there should be virtually none

the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally but if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit

and then look along the propshaft for any signs of a missing balance weight as these take the form of little 3/4" squares that are welded onto the shaft - as they are only tacked on they can sometimes come loose and be lost resulting in the shaft being out of balance - if a joint is worn this can also shake them loose

so if a joint is replaced its good practice to have the shaft re-balanced afterwards

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you for the information. I'll work thru these steps and see what I can pin point.

no problem

just get back to me on this post

Matt, Engineer