Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought a used 2012 Audi A4 and I find that there is…

Hi, I just bought...

Hi, I just bought a used 2012 Audi A4 and I find that there is constant warning for low engine oil pressure. The motor oil level on the car is near max so I'm not sure what is wrong with it

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

Check engine light comes on and sometimes does not. I dod not how old is the oil pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a local repair shop, they have refused to proceed with any repair as it appears the car had a collision in its past and electrical modifications were made. This is all before I bought the car. I have scheduled for the car to be serviced and maintained by the Audi dealership in hopes they can fix the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'd like to know possible causes for this issue and repairs and costs that would be needed to fix those potential issues

5/11/2018
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Current miles?

Is the oil pressure light on with the engine cold and hot at idle and when driving?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
126k miles. only on when engine is hot and running not when idle.

Thanks, ***** ***** serviced the engine oil or is this the oil that came in it when you purchased it?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
oil is still the oil that I purchased
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I mean the oil is still the oil that came when I purchased the car

Possible causes are going to be the oil viscosity is not correct, incorrect reading pressure sensor, internal engine damage resulting in low pressure.

I recommend an oil change first off, the oil weight used in it now may be to low of a number and when hot it is to thin.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
OK do you have an estimate how much these fixes would cost?

Oil change 39$

Pressure sensor parts and labor 205$

Replacement engine thousands.

Chris (aka - Moose)
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Understood! Thank you

You are welcome

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician