Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Power steering problem. Just recently, i replaced the pump,

Customer Question
Power steering problem Mechanic's...

Power steering problem

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Just recently, i replaced the pump, pressure lines, cleaned the reservoir filter and using pentosin chf 11s fluids brand new pump*

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

1998 audi a4 1.8t auto fwd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am i have replaced the pump 3x 1st burn out, 2nd worked for 2 hrs and stopped

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Now i bought a brand new one

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Audi
4/3/2018
Audi Mechanic: AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner replied 2 months ago
AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner

Ok, so after you install a pump, are you still getting major growling/whining noise when turning the wheel?

No i am not

Ok, so the pump just stops supplying hydraulic pressure to the rack, and steering gets stiff, correct? And which exact lines were replaced?

i have spent 2 hrs turning the wheel side to side, and before hand i checked if the system is block by running air compressor, through it the fluids went back to reservoir

Ok, understood, but again:

1) does the PS system just stop working, and steering get stiff?

2) What exact lines were replaced?

as i mentioned the i change the pressure line pump to the rack, i change all the clamps. Yes theres no power steering at all. with a brand new pump
it has new serpentine belt as well

Ok, thanks. So here is the most common problem. Even though all of the suction and return hoses just look like rubber low pressure hose, the one from the cooler loop at the lower left of the radiator back to the reservoir has a metal restrictor in it. You should see 2 clamps towards one end of the hose that look like they have no purpose. This clamps the restrictor in place. Either pull that line and try to clear it out, or replace the hose. The part # is 8D0 422 891C, and it retails for $74. This should get you back in business.

Please let me know if I can offer further information.

My car does not have a cooler
its goes back directly to the reservoir

Throw me a VIN please, since there will still be a return hose with a restrictor in place.

And you're sure you don't have a metal pipe that sits in front of the AC condensor that makes a loop?

Im at work right now, my car is at home been sitting for 3 weeks trying to figure it out and im 1000% sure there no cooler nothing that leads lines that goes through front of the car. both lines traced back to the reservoir

Ok, roger that. I'm alerted any time you respond, so once you get me the VIN, I can double check that hose I'm thinking of. If I'm not in front of a computer at the time, I should be able to log on fairly quickly, so just sit tight.

We'll get this figured out. I've worked on these since they were new.

Its the base model 1.8t b5 with aeb auto trans. One thing i did differently was. the bolt that has a filter that bolts on the pressure line on the rack. i did take out the filter because of the plastics inside were squished out and blocking the passage

Ok, yeah, I've done that a few times. That doesn't affect pump pressure in any significant manner.

Another thing i discovered was the return line is connected to this long piece of bent up pipe with shitty clamped on and another hose connected back to the reservoir. i removed those and directly clamped the return hose to the reservoir as it was leaking in that clamped on pipe

Also, I've got the OE/factory parts subscription. I went ahead and did a search without VIN, just year/model, and I'll attach a picture. The metal loop that should be in place is #17, and the restricted return hose is highlighted #16, hence the confusion. The way you describe it, the return hose to the reservoir is coming directly from the rack (#15 shouldn't exist in North America market cars)

i do not have that in my car, no even the cooler in the front
I dont have 16 and 17 on my car
it wouldnt have a problem in the rack wouldnt it? i mean the cooler shouldnt make this big problem, since its just extension running in front of the car with the pipe running through and back

Bizarre. Even went back to a 97 1.8 FWD, and same diagram. Went forward to 99, same thing.

And the cooler itself won't make a difference in flow, but that restrictor that I keep mentioning WILL cause a problem with flow.

However, since you apparently just have the #15, there should also be that restrictor in there that should be able to be cleaned out. As far as replacing it, I can't help with a part number, but there will be one printed/stamped somewhere on the hose itself.

ohh if thats the case im pretty sure thats the piece of pipe that was attached to the return line i removed. and im guessing is the most important part for the flow?
Does it have aflared end?

Well, hard for me to say, since I've never seen this hose that goes directly from the rack to the reservoir, but it should have a banjo end that attaches to the rack, and then just a straight rubber hose on the other side that gets clamped to the reservoir. Close to that end, there should be a section with 2 clamps that looks sort of like this

i know the return line with banjo in the end that bolts to the rack then rubber hose that clamps to reservoir but where would i attach the #16 hose? its just a typical hose return line from the cooler. its not a restriction or a change of flow

Well, since you don't have the #16 hose, it's not an issue. What I'm trying to say is that there is a restrictor built into the hose. In every B5 A4 I've worked on, it's built into the #16 hose, hence why it's strangely expensive. On yours that doesn't have the #16 hose, the restrictor HAS to be built into the #15 hose. It's marked on that return hose by the hose clamps I mentioned in the last picture.

Okay so all i prettu much need to try is using the hose #16 that cant be conencted to the return line and clamped to reservoir

That, or just try to clean out the restrictor in your existing #15 return hose.

you mean the bolt that bolts #15 to the rack?, that one i removed the filter on bolt?

Again, there is a restrictor on the non-banjo end of the hose. It's inside the hose between those two clamps. I will attach other pictures to try to make it as clear as possible.

If that restrictor is full of junk, it will not allow enough fluid to return into the reservoir quickly enough and kill the pump. If the restrictor isn't there, then fluid will return too quickly, and possibly cause the pump to cavitate

Ohh okay, do we have a part number for this? and as well how come it worked perfectly fine before hand without this restrictor and all the things i had the second time for 2hrs and until it died

A while back in our session, I mentioned that I have no part number for the hose in your car, since every North American B5 should have a cooler loop, but there should be a part number printed or stamped on your hose on your car.

Unknown why it worked, and then stopped working. With parts replacement, sometimes dirt gets dislodged, contaminants get into the system, or any number of other things can happen. I can only offer information and advice from my experience, and in my experience I have see these restrictors get clogged and cause the problem you're experiencing. I'm also saying that you should remove the hose first from both ends, and try to blow through it to clear a possible obstruction, from the reservoir side, if you're not just replacing the hose.

But what im saying is i dont have that restrictor hose and you said as well that it shouldnt be the case of flow since it is a restrictor and as well the cooler system.

And what I'm saying is that whether you have the #16 hose or the #15 hose, either one will have a restrictor built into the end of it. I've just been using 16 as the example of what to look for. If you're saying that you've inspected your existing hose, and this double-clamped restrictor is not part of the existing hose on your car, then we're going to have to get back to page 1 on this epic journey.

on my #15 hose im not sure if i do have it, but i have checked the system if its plugged by running air through it with my air compressor, and the fluids goes back to the reservoir easily
I would like a refund due to be able to accommodate the problem here
i would like a refund through this

Yep, got it. I'll kick it over to customer service. I don't handle the refunds, just the incoming questions.