Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 audi a4 quarto... car overheated to the RED... dropped…

Customer Question
2006 audi a4 quarto.....

2006 audi a4 quarto... car overheated to the RED... dropped all the fluid... i saw a hose was not attached to radiator... so i replaced it ... refilled the coolant...the next day... drove 4 minutes and it did it again... overheated to the RED and dropped all the coolant. Thermostat.. or air in the coolant system..

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes.... no leaks before any of this started

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was tempted to pull the Thermostat... but after some research I saw how tedious and maybe ill advised work it would be... so I postponed it.... ive asked mechanic shops and have gotten multiple scenarios... trying to avoid a money pit

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The overfill tank and connector hoses are new .... other than that... that's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Audi
3/29/2018
Audi Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

when the car first overheated, how long did you drive it while it was in the red?

3 minutes

ok, the very first thing you need to do is to have a block test done to see if combustion gases are mixing with the antifreeze.

that seems complicated... plus i don't want to dump money into an older car. anything a little bit more direct and simple?
the dealer is notorious for bleeding us consumers... but at the same time... it is kinda hard to find a decent Audi mechanic. plus its sitting in my driveway... which means a tow to whichever garage i can guess will help.. I'm a bit of an amateur mechanic myself... what can i do in the meantime

if you dont have a block test done first then anything else is just wasting time and money.

Copy. Then I will do that next

let me know the results and i will tell you what the next step is.

hows it going?