Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ABS light on. ABS light and the ESP light as well. 2002 Audi…

Customer Question
ABS light on Mechanic's...

ABS light on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

ABS light and the ESP light as well

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

2002 Audi A6 4.5 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

4.2

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have tried nothing yet. my daughter away at college. Car sat for 10 days. Brakes felt a but stiff and these two lights were on car sat for three weeks at Christmas and were rock hard when we got back. After going to the shop and being inside for a couple of days they warmed up and all was well. No repair needed. Just got very very cold

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Audi
Today, when those lights came on the car had been sitting for about 10 days. The brakes felt a bit stiff and upon arrival to destination a few miles away she could smell brakes a little bit
3/27/2018
Audi Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 4 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. It is very common for the abs module to fail on those, I would attempt to talk to the abs module with a scan tool capable of so. If there is no communication, I check for power and ground, if thats ok, I have the module rebuilt.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

is this dangerous to drive
Audi Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 4 months ago

Your abs, if the module has failed, will be inoperative. So, you will have only manual brakes, and your power booster. Whether or not it is safe is up to the driver. In wet conditions, I would be more concerned.

Audi Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 4 months ago

Hopefully the information I supplied helped. Please leave me a 5 star rating, if you do not feel I deserve a 5 star rating, please let me know ahead of time and I will make sure I have done all that I can to assist you, thank you.