Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an audi 2006 a3 2.0 it will not start unless I

Customer Question
I have an audi...

I have an audi 2006 a3 2.0 it will not start unless I disconnect the battery and let it set over night and then reconnect the battery and it will start and run for about 10 or 15 minutes and then die again and will not start unless I disconnect the battery again and let it set over night and the cycle continues

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I put a new battery on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet i hit a curb and blew out the driver front tire and every since its been stuck in park unless i go thru those steps i just mentioned

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Everything works fine when i disconnect the battery and let it set over night

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Audi
3/27/2018
Audi Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 26 days ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

When it want start,does it crank over but want start or engine want even crank over ?

do you have a Audi capable scanner to pull fault codes ?

is the key symbol going away after key inserted when it want start , is security issue ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I’m doing it myself. When turn the key it does nothing. I don’t have a scanner

ok , and no power on dash ,or dash lights up ?but not engine turning over, so we have a no crank condition , engine does not turn over

how old is battery you took it and checked under load , like at local parts store

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
everything lights up but nothing coming from engine battery is brand new I just bought it 2 days ago

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW STARTING CIRCUIT OF YOU STSARTING SYSTEM ,WE HAVE A FUSE AND A RELAY U CAN CHECK ,

DO YOU HAVE A TEST LIGHT , DO YOU KNOW HOW TO CHECK FOR POWER AND GROUND ?

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
like I said after setting over night with battery disconnected and reconnecting the battery the next day it starts right up and runs for about 5 or 10 minutes and dies and won't start again until I disconnect the battery and let it set up

You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A MAGICAL ANSWER HERE WITHOUT FURTHER TESTING AND YOU HAVE OR DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CHECK ,GET ME FAULTS WE GO FROM THERE LIKE I SAID EARLIER

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
ok where do I get the scanner

Dealer or repair shop, now you can try the basic code reader at local parts store but these can only read engine module and i believe you have a security issue or comfort access system module and will need specific scanner to read these modules

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
if I go to the dealer what do I ask them for what type of scanner?

will opt out at this time for another expert to assist on this one

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
my transmission is stuck in park and I need to get in to neutral for towing 2006 audi a3 2.0
Audi Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 25 days ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

If you turn the key to just BEFORE the position where the lights on the dash come on, the shifter should be unlocked (it will disengage the mechanical lock, but the brake switch solenoid will not yet be active)

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It did not work

When you turn the key to where the dash lights come on, do you hear a "click" or "thunk" from the shifter area as the brake switch solenoid activates? If you step on your brakes, do you hear a 'click" in that area? Do your brake lights work when you step on the brakes?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Brake lights don’t work

It sounds like your brake switch is not working- do you hear a "click" from the shifter when stepping on the brakes?

Again, if you turn the key from the "off" position, and try to shift the shifter at the same time, it should release just before the dash lights turn on.

If you can't get it, you can move the shifter out of gear by removing the trim panel around the shifter, and depress the yellow plastic piece on the right side, that will release the shift lock manually and allow you to move the shifter.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
There is no yellow piece on the right side
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have seen videos that show a magic button on some models but the a3 does not have one
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Or at least I don’t see one
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Are you still there
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Did you read my previous info, all I did was hit a curb and the car died and I put it in park to start it and it would not start and it would not come out of park. When I turn the key on it does nothing, the motor does not turn over at all. The battery was bad so I put a new one on and it started right up and ran for about five or ten minutes and died then I disconnected the battery and let it set over night and reconnected the battery and it did the same thing again
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hello are you still there
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I found the yellow button, thanks
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Are you still there the yellow button was on the front of the gear shift housing

Ok, I was just getting back with a picture

You usually need to stick a thin rod or screwdriver down in the front to depress the button/lever, then you can shift it.

I'm wondering if your curb impact did some kind of damage to the alternator. If the car will start and run for 15 minutes, do you have a volt meter to be able to check the battery voltage while it is running?

My other concern would be, do you have a cracked oil pan? If it is shutting off after 15 minutes, but then starting again after it cools down, I would worry the engine is seizing up. Is there any noise when running? Have you checked the oil level?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The oil is about a quart low but it’s been sitting here for about a week now and it’s completely dry under the car, I’ve been trying to start it again and it does nothing, all the lights on the dash light up but no sound from the engine, I think I told you the brake lights don’t work
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have a volt meter but I haven’t been able to get it started again

Im thinking that now the battery is too low to get it started. Check the battery with the volt meter and see where you're at. You might need to charge the battery again, see if that starts it, and then see if the alternator is charging while it is running

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I took the battery back and had them charge it back up again but it still won’t do anything, I don’t know what I did to make it start

Can you put a ratchet or breaker bar with a 18mm socket on the crankshaft bolt, and turn the crankshaft clockwise? Be good to know for sure that the engine isn't binding for some unknown reason. Getting a hard knock has been known to do all kinds of unexpected and seemingly impossible things.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
When ever it did start it ran as smooth as could be and idled just fine by the way that bolt is larger than a 19mm I’ll have to go buy one
Audi Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 22 days ago

You could also put your meter on the starter signal wire, turn the key to "start" and see if you get a 12v signal to the starter to engage. If the signal is there, then you may have a bad starter, though that still won't explain why it will shut off after 15 minutes.

gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician