Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How can I either tighten the steering up or retrofit dynamic…

Customer Question
Hey, how can I either...
Hey, how can I either tighten the steering up or retrofit dynamic steering in my 2015 Audi A8 4.0T?Thanks,
Sonny
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Audi
3/27/2018
Audi Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 27 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
To adapt the responsiveness of the steering in your model, you need to code the steering control module using the scan tool from Ross-Tech.comThe scan tool is basically a necessity if you're going to be working on your own vehicle so just buy it if you are.Please remember to hit accept if I've answered your question to your satisfaction, that's the only way I get paid for my time.If you need further assistance please don't hesitate to ask you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hi Danny, I gather that's not going to get me dynamic steering though. I was looking to get an opinion on what that would take in terms of parts & labor... or a warning that it's all but impossible.What sort of behavior differences would I see between the coding change and a dynamic steering retrofit? (My last A8 had dynamic steering, but my 2015 doesn't and the wheel feels loose in comparison. Would the coding change get me there or do I need the full dynamic steering retrofit?
Audi Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 26 days ago
It wouldn't be dynamic no, what it would do is just change the steering feel all the time.If your vehicle came with dynamic steering as an option then you'd have to change over all the pieces that aren't the same which would be the steering motor, module, possibly the steering angle sensor, steering column control module, you'd have to wire it all up, code any and all control modules that have to know that (which probably includes the abs module and possibly ECM and TCM) it would be prohibitively expensive to anybody who doesn't have master tech level knowledge. You probably be better off just buying the model that you want with the dynamic steering. It can be a real pain to code a vehicle to take them out of acac***** *****ke this because the other control modules in the vehicle are communicating over the canbus often you'll try to enter the coding in one module and that module will talk to another module over the can bus that module will tell it no this vehicle doesn't have that, and then it will reject the coding. So you're like unplugging control modules to get them to not do that while you're coding different ones, etc. My shop did a lot of things like this when I had it and it's really not easy.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Well, I'm happy to be stuck with this car... so I'm likely to do just suffer the complexity and try the retrofit. Is it within the scope of my question to get an estimate of what this would cost?
Audi Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 24 days ago
It's going to take an Audi parts guy to tell you what it will cost Parts wise, call up Audi and ask them for the prices for the dynamic steering rack and module and they will be able to tell you whether or not the steering column control module or steering angle sensor are any different.From a visual perspective often we can't tell the difference it might be a different part number but that doesn't necessarily mean the internally it's any different that could just being superseded the manuals don't explain those things to us so the parts as are going to be the best because they're going to be able to say oh well if your car has dynamic steering you need this or whatever.That'll give me a lot better information, you're talking $3 to $5k I'm pretty sure but go ahead and get me that info on the modules and we can go from there.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician