Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Malfunction indicator lamp came on. 2012 a8 l. Just the gas…

Customer Question
Malfunction indicator lamp came...

Malfunction indicator lamp came on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

2012 a8 l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the gas cap tighting

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I have not had the car long. Only about a 1000 miles

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Audi
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Audi Mechanic: internal88, Technician replied 4 months ago
internal88
internal88, Technician

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am Brandon - Audi tech.

Does the car feel any different in performance?

Audi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 4 months ago
eric remington

h​ello do you still require assistance? if so were you able to interface with onboard computer via code reader or scanner to retrieve any trouble codes from module s?

Audi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are dozens of possible causes for the engine light coming on. The light comes on when the engine controller sees a failure in a monitored component and sets a fault code. The issue could be many things including ignition system issues, fuel injectors, wiring, any sensor, a transmission related issue, catalytic converter efficiency, an evaporative emissions system failure or leak including a loose or bad fuel cap; literally a failure in any powertrain component can cause the light to come on.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.