Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a car issue and was wondering if I can get some help.

Hi there, I have a...
Hi there, I have a car issue and was wondering if I can get some help.
Its a 2001 Audi A6 4.2L v8 auto. It has the code P0730 (Incorrect Gear Ratio).
So far I've changed the transmission fluid and filter, and also replace the TCM but nothing.
When I put it in Drive and accelerate, the car will rev up, make a clunk sound then slowly
move forward (after the clunk sound PND321 all lit up in red).
As I pick up speed the car seem to respond better. If I shut the car off and
unplug the TCM, start car back up, put it drive and accelerate there is no clunk sound and it feels
like it does accelerate better but, not by much. Any ideas? Thanks!
3/24/2018
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master Audi tech.
* WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
* FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
* PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
* UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
* RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.I do need the vin # to get the factory information to assist.
Did you personally change the fluid? And if so how many quarts was poured in?Thanks
WAUZL54B3N089927 Yes, I changed it myself and I used a total of 9 quarts and ran through all gears 3 sec each.

9 qts seems alot for a service . usually only 5 -6 qts

i think you are overfilled .

how did you set the level can you explain ?

I put in 6 quarts but when shifting to reverse a good amount squirt out. So I put in another 3 quarts in until it started having a slight overflow.

ok the correct procedure is this and must be done before the trans fluid temp is 45 degrees C.

add the amber color fluid in the bottom big hole until it starts to trickle out . then cap the system.

so if the temp was higher than 45 C then it is low due to fluid expansion.

lets assume that the level is ok and you still getting the code for p0730 gear ratio . The trans internally is still slipping which means that there is damage to the clutches and seals internally which then the transmission needs to be removed, taken apart, and rebuilt.

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra. Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks and my pleasure!

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech