Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an AWD Audi Q7. Do I need snow chains for driving in…

I have an AWD Audi...
I have an AWD Audi Q7. Do I need snow chains for driving in snow? If so should I put them on front or rear tires?I have some thoughts, but would love an expert opinion from an auto mechanic
3/23/2018
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Where do you live?

Are you driving on snow mainly or ice, and how thick?

Do you encounter some pretty steep hills?

I am in California. I live in San Jose and drive to Lake Tahoe and other parts of the sierras. There are some hills with some grade. Roads have some snow and ice, but usually plowed with some frequency, so let's say 1-4 inches. My tires all all season.
I would prefer to get a response via chat. I am not too worried about this, just some general thoughts from you would be nice. Key question for me is if I do use snow chains, should I put them on front or rear?

Typing out an answer now.

I would not recommend tire chains for your scenario. Chains are needed in scenarios where gaining forward momentum is pretty much not possible. Also, chains are not meant to be used on any surface not covered by snow and ice. So anytime you encounter dry or wet roads on this trip without snow or ice you must remove them. That is not a quick easy task. Your vehicle is AWD/4wd, so you are getting plenty of power to the wheels to move in slick terrain.

Let me give you an example. I live in TN and one of my vehicles is a 2000 Ford F350 4x4. If I leave my driveway and turn right, it is an immediate up hill. Gonna guess in the 15% grade range, which is a lot more than most highways. It goes up hill for 0.3 miles to the top which is 315 ft above my driveway. I can make it up this in 2wd if I get a running start. In 4wd I can make it up no problem what so ever. No chains or studded tires. That is in crunchy ice or snow. Now if it were a smooth sheet of ice like a hockey ring that would be different, but roads are rarely like that.

My suggestion is no chains are needed. Maybe some practice in a safe area to understand your cars limits on slick surfaces. Horseplaying to find the Uh Oh moment in a controlled environment actually will help you out a lot when you are just trying to get from point A to point B on ice and snow in a safe manor.

I love driving on snow and ice, and do so in 2wd. You only use 4wd when it is must. You need a backup plan for when you get stuck. Many drive aound in 4wd thinking its best method when in fact it is not, you use it when needed, not as a cure-all for the terrain you are on.

In the event you decide to have some as a backup since your vehicle is 4wd, you would need to install it on all wheels or you would actually make driving harder.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka - Moose)
Thanks Moose. Appreciate your help.

You are very welcome