Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 A7 and the gearbox filter cracked and dumped…

I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 A7 and the gearbox filter cracked and dumped all the gearbox oil. The message I got initially was the 'Gearbox Limited functionality - safe to continue driving' so it did

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

...sorry - finger trouble.... I carried on driving to Audi specialist who has repaired it but at a huge cost!!! Could you tell me if I lost the gearbox oil and carried on driving - could I damage the gearbox or not?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A7 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was booked in for service this week so last ENGINE oil change was about 18,000 miles ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No - its fixed - but they've overhauled the gearbox at a huge cost which surprised me. The message said carry on driving but apparently lots of work was needed on the gearbox after the oil dumped.

3/21/2018
AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner

Ok, so you're essentially wanting to know if the rapid loss of transmission fluid could cause very expensive or permanent damage? Unfortunately yes, this damage to transmission internals can happen very quickly. Within 5 miles or minutes or less. Not only does the fluid lubricate internal parts, but it also is required to keep pressures within a prescribed value to keep clutches clamped at a certain force. Once this force is lose due to fluid loss, heavy friction and heat builds up very quickly, and starts to destroy the friction surfaces.

Unfortunately, in hindsight, or after the work was done it's very difficult for me to know if such damage was done, but if they kept the parts that they replaced, that would definitely tell a tale.

Also, just as an aside, despite Audi recommendations, I would shorten that engine oil change interval to closer to 8k miles.

Please let me know if I can offer further information.

Thanks for that. Its a bit annoying then that the car says "You can continue driving" - I did. and its cost me a small mortgage! I appreciate the independent advice which is what i was looking for. I didn't want to be ripped off. When I heard it was a filter crack - I thought "Great, new filter housing, more oil - job done!!!" Sadly I was mistaken. Thanks again for your advice. Russ

Agreed on that part completely. I wish I could have offered better news, or that the Audi warning light was a bit more specific about your next steps.

AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner