Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2009 A4 Quattro... the fob is stuck in the ignition.

I have 2009 A4...

I have 2009 A4 Quattro... the fob is stuck in the ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes on the wheel. The fob is worn, but not damaged that I can tell. It happens more and more frequent. Now I cant get it out at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet... researching the web

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really... it happens with both keys/fobs

3/20/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

A bulletin was released on this issue here.The first thing they want you to try is to turn on the ignition and then back off again and see if it removes then.Then it says if it still does not remove the ignition switch assembly needs replaced.

The bulletin number for this issue from the manufacturer is :

28 10 03

(###) ###-####5

Here is the info on it:

Service

1. To release the key, another ignition cycle is necessary. (It is not necessary to start the engine.) Parts should not be replaced, and the switch operation should be explained to the customer.

2. If the key cannot be released and there are no other related complaints, replace the ignition switch. Once the ignition switch is removed, the key can be released as follows: Holding the switch in your right hand (looking at the key opening, part number pointing to the right), gently strike the switch housing against your left hand. The key will be released.

This switch will need replaced to resolve this fault here.This can be done by a lock smith or repair facility in most cases as they may need to use their tools to be able to remove the key if it will not remove at all.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician