Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Turbo warning light came on in my 2001 Audi TT quattro, pull…

Turbo warning light came...

Turbo warning light came on in my 2001 Audi TT quattro, pull over a nearest gas station shut car of then restarted and the warning light was off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Turbo warning light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not. Just wondering what it might be? I did have a new Borla exhaust system installed about a month ago. Could this cause an issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it

3/18/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If you have a check engine or other fault light on then the next step should be to plug in a scan tool to pull the exact code off, this will greatly speed up the diagnosis

and yes its possible the new Borla exhaust may be the issue , if its just a cat-back then it shouldn't give any issues

but if the new exhaust has a different catalyst or moved O2 sensor then this can all produce fault code

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer
The Borla exhaust is a cat-back system. However i never got a warning before. I drove about 80 miles this morning and the warning light for the turbo came on but when i pull over and shut the car off and restart the warning light went away. However i drove 20 miles and it came back on. Pulled over shut car off restart and warning gone again. I will check and see wat codes come up.

Hello

This sounds like an electrical actuator or sensor at fault .Usually when you can cycle the ignition key on / off and then restart the engine and the fault is gone temporarily this indicates that this is an electrical component causing this issue.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/faqs/spark-plug-faqs/how-do-i-read-a-spark-plug