Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an Audi A6 Quattro 4.2litre V8 and after starting and…

Customer Question
I have an Audi...

I have an Audi A6 Quattro 4.2litre V8 and after starting and running for about 10 minutes the red oil can warning light comes on with low oil pressure message at the same time the engine starts to misfire and runs rough with a knocking noise coming from the right bank. I immediately shut off the engine wait a few minutes start it up and it runs fine no noise for a few minutes and then the warning light comes on again low oil pressure message rough running etc. so I shut it off again. It seems when the oil gets to about operating temp the problem presents itself. Do you have any ideas as to what may cause this please

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?

It has new oil and filter and I assume the oil pump is original the vehicle has 266000km on the odometer

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your A6 quattro?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A6 quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am working on it with the intention of fixing it. Lol. The oil sender was leaking quite bad so I replaced that I changed the oil and filter to find it had the wrong oil filter previously fitted I should mention I have only just got the car and don’t know anything of its history. My next step was to fit a gauge where the sender screws into so to have an accurate reading are there any other places I could plumb the gauge into to help isolate the loss of oil pressure

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this stage thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Audi
3/18/2018
Audi Mechanic: Wolfgang, Audi master tech replied 4 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master Audi Tech.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

1. Did you remove the lower oil pan to inspect if debris is in the oil pickup. if not that is the next step.
Ok I’ll do this and report back to you
The lower oil pan is off and there does not appear to be any fragments of any sort nor debris

nothing in the screen?