Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Should replacing an intake manifold assembly on an Audi A4…

Should replacing an intake...

Should replacing an intake manifold assembly on an Audi A4 Quattro fix and engine light on with a code of 2187

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

My mechanic replaced the manifold 5000 miles ago and my light is on again. he says it could be number of things

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your A4 quattro?

No, didnt stall but does run a bit rough i think 2009

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mech said i need to get it diagnosed for a charge

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I paid over 700 dollars last june for the manifold and labor

3/16/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

Hi im kevin the first thing i would recommend here before committing to replacing expensive components is to carry out a smoke test .in most cases this code is set when an intake leak is present .the smoke test basically uses a smoke tester to fill intake system with a thick white smoke which is clearly visible if a leak is present allowing the location to be easily traced

my original question was if replacing intake manifold get rid of the P2187 code

Its possible this could cure the code if the intake is leaking

what does cure the code mean?

Fix the issue

Kevin, i am confused. my mechanic replaced the intake manifold assembly 5k miles ago. Now i am getting the engine light on again with a code of p2187. should that be able to happen assuming the manifold is good?

In my opinion no the intake manifold is unlikely to be the cause unless the gasket that joins it to the cylinder head was damaged during instullation and over the time since has began to leak

no call please. cannot afford it

Call offer not from me not a service i offer .its a generic message just ignore

how should i approach the mechanic to sound educated on this. I paid good money to put that manifold assembly. do u think he should be liable for the repair?
he wants to send me somewhere else to do a diagnostic at my cost. what should i tell him?

First you need to accertain as to weather the manifold is the cause of the leak .a smoke test should be carried out to confirm the location of the leak and if its from the manifold or the manifold gasket it should be repaired free of charge

it may be that you have to agree with a diagnostic from another garage on the condition that if indeed it turns out that the problem is related to the work hes already carried out that he has to put it right and cover the cost of the diagnostic

OK. That sounds fair. is there anything that i can or should do for myself to make sure i do not get taken on this? my mechanic wants to send me to a garage he works with for this particular diagnostic. How will i/can i know that they are not coinciding on this to bend the truth?

To be honest you will just need to trust their opinion most garages arent there to fleece you .let me know how you get on and il do my best to assist you until your sorted .please also remember to rate my service

even if this other garage is a friend of his? and across the street?

You could find another garage and get a report on the cause of problem from them ?

Kevin, how much does a smoke test cost?

will take no more than around half an hour to carry out . I would expect to pay around $60-100

ok. is the smoke test part of the diagnostic test?

Yes its a tool used in a diagnostic to confirm an intake leak

OK. so to recap, a diagnostic test (which includes thesmoke test) should be done to check for leaks on the manifold right?
assuming no leak, does that excuse him from the repairs? above, you seemed to think that the replacement of the assembly should have avoided this engine dilemna. am i right?

This code can be caused by multiple reasons .if the intake is leaking then he has to put this right free of charge anything else will be donwn to you unfortunatly

Kevin, a better question,
if i replaced the manifold assembly today, would this P2187 code go away?

If the manifold is leaking yes

OK. Thank you Kevin. I am not sure of what else to ask and you have been great. i just wish i knew how to attak this so that i dont get taken for another ride. Thanks again
Armindo

Let me know how you get on and if you need any further advice at all .please remember to rate my service

what do you mean by "how you get on"

once you had it checked let me know what they find .keep me updated

How will i be able to do that?

Come back to this question within your account even after rating my service you can continue this coversation

OK. Thank you
where and how do i rate

Just select 5 stars

Kevin
Kevin, Technician
LOL funny. I meant how do i do it but i read closer. just go to top and click on star. will do you deserve it. thanks

Many thanks

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Technician