Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

B5 2.8 AHA motor, there are not a lot of write ups on the…

Customer Question
B5 2.8 AHA motor...

B5 2.8 AHA motor, there are not a lot of write ups on the upper oil pan gasket. The gasket on my upper oil pan where it attaches to the block looks like it may be leaking oil. I want to remove and re seal

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Haha I’m sorry I didn’t fully explain that I need to know how to remove the upper oil pan from the block, I apologize I should have explained better that I am looking for a write up on how

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

I wrote that it is a b5 2.8 with the AHA

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Audi?

1998

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am simply asking if someone has instructions on how to remove the upper oil pan...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That you’re not making much sense? Lol

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Audi
3/13/2018
Audi Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Okay so first of all I would make extra sure that it's not actually the valve cover gaskets leaking take your phone put it on video record and film back behind the valve cover gasket by the firewall the camshaft plugs can leak and what happens if the oil runs down the back of the block then when it lands on the flat spot of the oil pan it actually runs along the top of the pan and looks like a pan leak. I would replace the valve cover gaskets before you go trying to replace the upper oil pan because book time on upper oil pan is like 6 hours or something like that it requires you to support the motor with a engine support bar or engine hoist and actually drop the subframe it throws the alignment off and everything. That being said here's your answer.What you're going to want to do is take pictures of where the subframe bolts the body and when you're done you're going to want to try a line up the witness marks were basically you're going to try to put the bolts for the subframe back in so that they overlap the original clean marks where they were. I've made a picture for you from illustration from the factory repair manual to make it easier for you.The first bolts you're going to want to remove are the four 13 mm sway bar bushing nuts, which I've drawn in green, and the transmission mount to subframe bolts which I have circled in red.This illustration is of a manual transmission which has only one transmission mount, the automatics have one on the other side as well so if you have an automatic there will be four 13mm bolts you need to remove.Once that is done, you're going to remove the three 13mm bolts they go through the aluminum plate at the rear subframe mount into the body.At this point you're going to start removing bolts that will actually affect your alignment and releases the subframe from the body, start with the four 18 mm bullets that I've circled in purple.Lastly remove the to 18 mm bullets at the front of the subframe that I've highlighted with orange, no is you remove the 280 mm bullets that I've highlighted in Orange at the rear of the subframe the subframe will fall away from the body and if you supported the engine properly the engine Will Be Loved saying up high near its original position and subframe will swing away and drive down and probably 4 to 6 inches.Be aware that the subframe is going to fall down but I won't fall all the way out because it's supported by the strut assembly.You can now begin removing the bolts the hold the oil pan to the engine block. You need to also remove the bolts on the bottom of the bellhousing that go through into the oil pan, I'd probably remove the lower oil pan first if I were you I don't remember off top my head but I think there might be bolts that go from the oil pan to the block that are inside the oil pan that you have to remove the lower one to get.
If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name, as that's the only way that I'm compensated for my time. Otherwise I get paid nothing.If you have any further questions please let me know, you'll still be able to ask follow up questions even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician