Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Key is stuck in the ignition. I don't think its an easy one…

Customer Question
Key is stuck in...

Key is stuck in the ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I don't think its an easy one or common fault unfortunately

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

2007 Audi Q7, 75,000miles - US model. 3.6. Car starts and runs ok. Sounds a little off. No other lights on except EPC light. Seems to be in a limited shift mode and revs out to 4000rpm before shifting. I can use tiptronic to shift manually but its running a little off. Starts and stops well. But key will not come out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Q7 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I will be unless I can't get the key out and fixed!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

EPC came on at the same time the issue started. battery not flat...

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Audi
3/10/2018
Audi Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Can you describe why the key won't come out of the ignition? Is it that the key won't turn to the correct position rotationally to remove? Or will it actually go to the opposition you just can't pull it out?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It feels completely normal but won't come out. I suspect it's can system related so until it's scanned no one will know?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any updates?
Well I was trying to figure out why your key was stuck in the ignition as far as right now I'm not entirely sure but if you look at the ignition right below the slot where the key is inserted you'll notice there's a small hole in the ignition take a paperclip or something and poked that hole and the key will release.I would run a charging system test on the vehicle because the most common cause of the key getting stuck is that the battery voltage isn't sufficient.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to accept so that the site will compensate me for my time if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask you'll still be able to ask any follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I'm a little dissatisfied. My car runs and drives - starts multiples time in the course of a few minutes - so it isn't flat or need charging as I explained. The car is a US version in the US - hence my listing my cars entire details sans the VIN - so there is no hole to push. An expert should have understood that immediately - or are some US versions of Audi Q7's have the hole because what I have read/researched suggests no hole. Not sure where to go with all this.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician