Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought a 2005 Audi TT 3.2l Quattro. I was driving and…

Customer Question
I just bought a 2005...
I just bought a 2005 Audi TT 3.2l Quattro. I was driving and the check engine light came on and followed was the oil light, and temperature light came on. It was driving fine. I put it on an OBD II scanner and it is saying the Crankshaft / Camshaft Position Sensor bank 1 needs replaced. DTC Code P0016. A lot of folks are saying that it isn't the sensor. Please let me know before I dump money into it. I think I got played.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Audi
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Audi Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

How many miles on the car? The p0016 code is for cam to crank correlation. Basically if is telling you that the timing chain is stretched. This is a common problem with these engines. I have replaced the chains on these engines with less than 60,000 miles. The chains and tensioners go bad due to improper maintenance. The oil has to be synthetic and should be changed every 7500 miles.

105,000 miles. and I just bought it, I have no clue what has or hasn't been done. They probably just cleared the code and I bought a lemon.

Well I"m sorry to hear that. They probably did just clear the codes and sell it to you. Did you talk to the people who sold it to you? Was it a dealer or a private party?

Okay, I just read something that says you can tighten the chain and adjust the cam. I may be able to do this myself. I just put the new sensor, 98 dollars, and of course that was not the problem. Light is still on., Thanks for the confirmation.

You can not adjust the chains on this engine. They are auto adjusted by the chain tensioners and the tenioners are oil pressure controlled. When the chains stretch the cam timing goes out. That is what triggers the code. The 3.2 engine has 4 seperate chains. The ones in the heads go out first. U-tube audi 3.2 timing chain replacement and you will see what i am talking about.