Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Tailgate open warning on dash. Tailgate comes down but

Customer Question
Tailgate open warning on...

Tailgate open warning on dash. Tailgate comes down but doesn’t latch. So goes up or down but not completely latching. Also taillights are out on the lift gate. Plate lights work tho.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Tailgate wasn’t closing before I noticed the taillights went out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

2011 Q5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Q5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Checked wires. Motor is clearly pulling door up and down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Would both bulbs go out if one was bad?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Audi
3/8/2018
Audi Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you tell me what wiring in what location was checked for any issues?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

I just looked at the wiring under the plating where the strike pole is and around the wheel well. Idk how long taillights have been out. Trunk not fully locking was the first issue.
Feel like it could be the tailgate sensor or the lamp switch

What can happen that I have seen before is where the wiring passes from the body to the tailgate the wiring can pinch or break due to flexing of the wiring.If you have not inspected this wiring I would check to see if this is the cause here as this can cause both of these issues.If this was already checked let me know.

The tail lights should work whether the tailgate is opened or closed so I don't see this as a lamp switch fault.The other issue I have seen is the tailgate latch itself can fail internally causing the issue where it does not latch but this won't cause an issue with the lamps not working which leads me to believe this is an issue with the wiring that runs from the body to the latch.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete