Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The engine was rebuilt a little while ago and after the

Customer Question
The engine was rebuilt...

The engine was rebuilt a little while ago and after the first oil change 200 miles into it the oil light comes on. Is it normal for this car to use oil between oil changes?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Not sure as this is my sons car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

2007 Audi A4 Quattro

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, the place where he bought the car did the rebuild . And they said it is normal for this car to use oil between oil changes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Audi
3/7/2018
Audi Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 1 month ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

It is normal to use up to 1 quart every 3000 to 4000 miles.Most of these engines will not use that much at all.If the oil light came on this means it used more then 1 quart and is not normal.This can be caused by leaking valve seals or piston oil rings needing replaced or cylinder boring that was done incorrectly.It can also occur with incorrect engine ventilation like the PCV system clogged up.

You will need to have it looked into further to have the fault located and then repaired.If this facility is saying it is normal you will need to have a different facility look into it.Then once the fault is found if it is found to be related to the previous engine rebuild I would see if the facility that did the rebuild will cover the costs.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The exact light was “low oil”
Also, this car has a tendacy to shut off after starting and backing up, not always. I need to wait for about 3 to 5 minutes before it would start again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Didn’t I just pay you $31 to get answers about this car. So what is the $26 for?

The stall out sounds like a faulty crank position sensor.This sensor was very common to cause this issue needing replaced.

It sounds like the rebuild had some issues causing the oil usage.It may be piston oil rings or PCV system or valve seals or even cylinder wall issues.This would need to be checked into further to locate which is the cause then repaired from there.If it is found that the repair facility that did the repairs caused this issue then I would see if they will cover the costs.

I think you are referring to the phone call offer.That is an automated offer all customers are offered and there is no need to accept the phone call offer.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician