Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I went to get my car fixed to pass smog. I have a FixD and…

Customer Question
I went to get...

I went to get my car fixed to pass smog. I have a FixD and it hooks up to give me what needs to be done. I went to AAMCO.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

I told them ignition coil HO2s needs to be replaced. Also cylinder 3 mis fire and the wiring between Ecm and tcm needs to be changed out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Detailed right. They did their own dygnosis and I didn’t get what I wanted but the booster brake and hoses complete. My car brakes are low but the main area to the hydronic was going. They did that. All codes were cleared. I drove away ten miles to see if any code would appear. Yes it did

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Audi?

Well I took it back and now they said I need a catalyic converter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The whole weekend I lasted low. Yesterday I looked under the hood because I fix my car but some things I don’t. I found that my wall covering is visual and airy that I can put my hand in the car and see Ground clearly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I looked under the car and they didn’t put my cover on my car underneath help.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Audi
3/6/2018
Audi Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Could you please give me the fault code so I can diagnose it, this is the problem with taking a German car to a generic shop. Aamco has really no business working on German cars unless it's a transmission. They lack the tools and knowledge, for example on German vehicles if there is a P0420 catalytic converter efficiency fault, it is never ever the oxygen sensors. I owned a German shop for 8 years, I'm a Volkswagen Master Tech, Ihave never once seen a faulty oxygen sensor fail to throw fault code I don't even do oxygen sensors when I do catalytic converters on them it's completely unnecessary they almost never fail, German repair shops might be a little bit more expensive per hour but they use quality Factory equivalent Parts you went to Aamco and they put generic Parts in your car most likely and they listen to you and you told them it needed an oxygen sensor because of a catalytic converter fault when the vehicle was misfiring which will kill catalytic converter.Go back and get them to put your lower engine cover back on but the only thing that that does is block airflow it's completely aerodynamic and barely even protects the engine.If you're going to work on your vehicle you should buy the scan tool from rosstech.com, you're actually able to go into basic setting mode and test a oxygen sensor by pushing the brake and the throttle all the way down at the same time the engine will set the RPM at the correct set point and the engine will run for a couple minutes and test and tell you whether or not the oxygen sensor or catalytic converters any good completely eliminating any doubt about what you need to change.That all being said I would bet that you do need a catalytic converter based on what you stated was wrong with the car.much further than that.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept as that's the only way I am compensated for my time on this site. If you have any further questions or comments don't hesitate to contact me. You will be able to respond to this question even after hitting accept.