Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 1999 audi 2.4 testing the mass air flow sensor

I have 1999 audi...

I have 1999 audi 2.4 testing the mass air flow sensor harness and there is no constant voltage from ecu harness. the car do not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?

The car do not start now, it was staying on very low idle, now nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Audi?

A4 2.8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've been a little troubleshooting, the car has been giving to me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have codes P1102, P1857, P1545. P1705,

3/1/2018
Audi Mechanic: Chris (aka - Moose), Technician replied 4 years ago
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, the will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right for direct download.

Have you worked through the diag steps for any of the codes you have?

I even put a mass air flow sensor, fuel regulator, I think my problem became worse when I did'nt see the 5 volts from Emc. I was getting battery voltage, but not now I found no.29 fuse and 15amp no.34 blown.the car was hard start but eventually came on in very low idle then stall. I was told by the owner before me. He took to a mech and said one of problems was throttle aligment.(Adapt.I believe the main problem no voltage from 12v, 5v source from emc it has ground. Did continuity test from ground to constant wire got continuty(maybe spelling it wrong) ground to ground (continuity) The 5v wire nothing.

Have you confirmed all the computer powers an grounds are good?

Is the theft system off, not activated with the key on?

All the computer power consist of what? I know the 12v, 5v to mass air flow sensor is not there. The anti - Theft system I do not believe is activatedWhat? car kind of spits a little when starting.

I just got called to go out and do a job. I will opt out so another can help you.

Audi Mechanic: Mike Rodgers,
 replied 4 years ago
Mike Rodgers

Reading through what you have tried already, I have a few questions. Does the vehicle currently crank and try to start? Have you checked the 5v signal directly at the ECM, not the connector for Mass air flow sensor?

HI Yes it cranks and tries to start, no I have not test the voltage (5v) ECM. Would that consist of testing through the harness of the ECM, also what about the battery voltage supply wire (none)
Audi Mechanic: Mike Rodgers,
 replied 4 years ago

It would consist of "back probing" the wiring right at the ecm with the key on. This will help isolate the voltage problem. If there is voltage present at the ecm, but not the maf sensor, we most likely have a wiring issue. If there is 12v into the ecm and no 5v out, the ecm could be the issue, or a ground for the ecm. I know it's all packed in there, but carefully look at the 02 sensor wiring. I've seen that wiring melt, chewed through by rodents, or torn causing the 5v signal to short out and ruin the ecm. Send me the VIN and I can tell you what wires to check at the ECM if you would like.

Ok. WAUED28D2XA231819.
Audi Mechanic: Mike Rodgers,
 replied 4 years ago

In looking at the wiring diagram I see a fuse for both the ecm, maf and brake light switch. It is fuse s231, position 31 on fuse panel. Should be a 15 amp fuse. Check that first, then using a DVOM you should have your 5v signal coming out of pin 12 at the ecm with the key on engine off and ecm still pligged in. It is a yellow wire. Please let me know what you have found. If this has not solved your issue there are some other things we can check.

Mike Rodgers
Ok. I'll check it when I did check fuses 15a was blown. I then since put another, I thought it was 34 engine timing according to owners manual. Right now where going through a storm. I'll let you know. Thanks!! God Bless!!
Hi" I Check the emc, might not a fitted the clip in the yellow wire ,there was voltage. but I did check a couple of other connections two on top of throttle body and I got about 5v. Check some other connection along firewall next to O2 sensors connection and there was nothing, right across from mass air flow sensor housing.
Audi Mechanic: Mike Rodgers,
 replied 4 years ago

Just to clarify, have you found the issue, or are you still in search of it? When you say the connectors on the firewall had nothing, how many pins are they?

There is only one connector besides the mass air connector. are they on the same 5v curcuit.
HI' I didn't answer your question about the pins. One small connector 2pin it looks a 5v connector which I believe is in the mass air flow 5v. circuit. 3 or 4 connectors on top of throttle body reading 5v.