Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My2004a4quattro esdan has lousy radio reception on fm and no…

My2004a4quattro esdan has lousy...

My2004a4quattro esdan has lousy radio reception on fm and no reception on am ,It has the shark fin on roof, checked the nut assemly above rear roof light and retightened it but to no avail. the radio is a pioneer top of the line and not the issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

What fuse r u talking about?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

2004 a4 quattro sedan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ran a 3 foot wire to center of antenna plug on radio and reception is 90 % better but still lousy am reception,shark fin wiring and holding nut look very good,is the fin powered thru the radio wireing system?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What fuse r u talking about?

checked a 2003 a4 quattro and that year it does not have a sharkfin,is the antenna in the rear glass on both a4 models
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I would rather talk if poss. my number is **********

2/13/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

YOur radio antennae are part of the rear window defrost grid and it also uses an antennae amplifier.You want to check the antennae cable connections at this amplifier to see if any are burned or damaged with the amplifier needing replaced.If these are o.k. check the defrost grid to see if any lines are worn out or damaged causing this signal issue here.The other antennae you are seeing ( shark fin ) is usually for the satellite radio or navigation or phone system.

Below is a picture of the antennae amplifier above the rear of the head liner.The jagged lines are the back glass if broken out.No need to break out the glass though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qxk20oqtcxt47b/ant-02-13.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

is there a schematic for the amplifier and where power comes from,is a fuse used to power it or does power come from the radio outputs I cannot find any info on this problem and all forums on internet basically say this antenna system sucks to put it mildly on all Audis

Unfortunately, this is all I show for the antennae on this model here.The diagrams for this antennae system is very vague.Usually, it is the antennae amplifier itself that fails.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nslu56lxt0ed4xp/ante-02-13.pdf?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Thanx Pete will check amp for power or malfunction

Your welcome

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician