Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am experiencing the same issue described in the answer i…

I am experiencing the same...
I am experiencing the same issue described in the answer i just read here on the page. 2001 S4 Avant developed an intermittent start. Reader only showed one historical code for a random Cyl 2 misfire. I have a pump ordered and it should arrive in the next 2 days. I will install the pump because after 16 years the car could probably use it. That being said, if i DO replace the fuel pump and experience the same issue, what is the likelihood that I should address/test the N80 purge valve. If stuck open wouldn't that act as a massive vacuum leak causing the intermittent start? I ask as I have verified spark and have new plugs and coils.
Symptoms:
Intermittent Start
Rough Idle (rougher than normal)
Decreased fuel mileage
Running 25degrees hotter than normal
NO CEL
When it does start other than a rougher than normal idle i notice no differences in the way the car normally drives
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
What scan tool do you have? Is it capable of running basic settings? The evap purge solenoid generally doesn t create a massive vacuum leak because the fuel tank is sealed. When they're bad they'll throw a fault. You need to run basic setting 70 and 71 to test the evap system, or remove the valve and pull vacuum on the side that goes to the intake manifold, if it won't hold vacuum replace it.The fuel pump will NOT fix this problem, they rarely if ever fail and if you aren't putting in a Bosch or other OEM pump you're doing yourself a disservice. If you go to my YouTube channel at youtube.com/germanautoinstitute you'll find a long in depth video I made about the breather system issues these vehicles have and what causes the most common things that do what your vehicle is experiencing.I'm a VW and Audi Master Tech and owned a 13 second 01 S4 avant by the way and I do Audi and VW performance engine tuning.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I'm using a Foxwell NT 510. I will run through it and make sure that I have the ability to run basic settings 70 and 71, I hope it does as I don't have the funds to buy a Ross Tech. Was steering towards the pump as when I ran the initial test there was no code other than the random Cyl 2 misfire, and like you pointed out I would have probably noticed an evap DTC, and believe a bad pump wont throw a code? The ordered pump is the OEM pump for the car I never install any of that Chinese crap to save money. As far as checking the N80 (please excuse the ignorance) but what is the best way for me to pull vaccuum? Thanks for your time Danny.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician