Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

A4 2007, engine vibrates on drive. 97k. Computer diagnostic…

Customer Question
A4 2007, engine vibrates...

A4 2007, engine vibrates on drive

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

97k

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Computer diagnostic says no fault

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is engine light

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Audi
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/31/2017
Audi Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

can you tell me if the car vibrates only when accelerating? or does the vibration happen at 1 road speed?

also if there's an engine light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
did check with computer, but no fouls found

OK

if you have a check engine light but fault is coming up with a regular OBD scan tool then its likely its one of the more subtle faults that need the dealer level kit to diagnose / extract the code

does the vibration occur at a set speed?

Matt, Engineer