Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Audi A-6 2.7T has ALL coolant leaking out while car is…

Customer Question
2004 Audi A-6 2.7T...

2004 Audi A-6 2.7T has ALL coolant leaking out while car is not started - hard to see -but looks like it is coming from front of engine, slightly on passenger side. Would all coolant leak out if it's the water pump ? or more likely a hose or connection ? Any help would be appreciated

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

When I add water/coolant to the reservoir - it immediately leaks out from front of engine - on passenger side of car - while the car isn't started

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just looking to see where the leak is ??? water pump or hoses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How would I know if it's the water pump ?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Audi
12/28/2017
Audi Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

In order to pinpoint the leak you are going to need top off coolant reservoir and connect pressure tester to the reservoir with cold engine, and then apply pressure and use a mirror or boroscope to check for leaks on rear engine hoses and clamp connections. Unfortunately, these engines have multiple hose connections for turbocharger cooling, throttle body, and auxiliary water pump under the intake manifold. The only way to pinpoint it is to pressure the system up and do a close inspection.

Hi - Well radiator is completely empty - added gallon of water to reservoir - and immediately All water gushed out from front of engine, slightly from the right side. Basically, in 2 minutes all water emptied out without the car started

That would sure indicate a large leak and usually, a water pump will be a slow leak. Are you able to get it up in the air so you can get under there and see where its running out at? This sounds more like you may have a broken hose.

I jacked up the right side of car and then poured more water in - leak appears to be just above alternator - but is very tough to see exactly where or which hose may be leaking

Yes, jack it up and be sure to place a jack stand under it so it does not fall on you and then add some water and see if you can pinpoint the source of the leak.

I did that - water leaked right out - but couldn't really see from where - are there coolant hoses in that section ?

Yes, there are hose that connect to the water pump.

Is there a way to easily remove something to get a better view and check those ?

It may help if you remove the engine cover and look down from the top.

I removed all engine housing covers- and had spotlight looking down on belts/engine drive wheels - all was dry looking from the top down

Well if it's running out that quick is has to be a pretty large leak and should not be that hard to pinpoint if you can get an eye on it.

Ok - will keeping exploring Ron - appreciate your help and insight.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.