Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 audi a3 2.0t. car overheats at higher rpms. You can…

2006 audi a3 2.0t. car...
2006 audi a3 2.0t. car overheats at higher rpms. You can drive it under 2k rpms and its ok
no heat in car either. Thermostat correct?
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/24/2017
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Under 2000 rpms do you get heat in the cab?

So far the symptoms are pointing to the water pump impeller fins worn and no longer moving enough coolant there is a head gasket leak that is packing air into the cooling system and preventing coolant flow.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

These have an electric water pump as well. Does this suffice for coolent flow ? how can I check to see if its the water pump? where can I check flow

You would have to remove the pump to inspect it to see if there is a concern there.

No other way to check flow ? You are talking about one by timi9ng belt correct?

Since your issue is related to rpm, there is not an adequate test to do so when it is rpm based. There is also not a specification on how much flow you should get. When there is low or no flow you can remove the thermostat, reassemble, remove the upper radiator hose and run the engine and watch how much coolant flows out. Yes, the pump is by the timing belt.

I test drove it again and heat is sporadic. At first it was working then as car started to overheat the heater in car got cooler. Would a plugged heater core cause this ? upper line is hot and loer line is barely warm. Or is that justa condition of no pressure forcing it through core

The heater core cannot cause an overheat.

I would focus on a cooling system pressure test and compression test to see if you have a headgasket concern.

Chris (aka - Moose)
you can feel the impeller through the thermostat housing if you remove it correct?

I do not believe so.

what is the purpose of that water pump by ol pan in front of engine?
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech

hey Mark Wolfgang here!!

when it starts to overheat is the lower hose that hooks to the thermostat under the intake cold and the other hot?

let me know

Hey how r u? I ended up pulling it apart and it was the water pump

doing ok been busy with family!!

all good now?

My sons 2006 audi a3 2.0T is havng turbo issues though. Throwing a couple codes
P310B-004
and P1297
2 symptoms every once in awhile it feels like it goes into limp mode and no power but a restart or letting it sit for awhile it goes away.
Other one is a hissing noise like a big vac leak but no leak. and only under load -not just revving up in driveway.

replace the low fuel pressure sensor that is on the high pump.

then remove the turbo bypass valve and see if the rubber of the valve is torn if so replace the bypass with updated part!!

do those first then recheck the leak . use very soapy water to see if any bubbles from inner cooler or hoses

I have an upgraded by pass valve so no diaprham

This question was about " car overheats at higher rpms."

You have already paid or that answer. We are not allowed to answer new questions unrelated. You need to open a new question.

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician