Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Had a cylinder 5 misfire, car ran just rough as. Started up…

Customer Question
Had a cylinder 5...

Had a cylinder 5 misfire, car ran just rough as hell. Started up just fine. Replaced the cylinder 5 ignition coil and plug and now the engine won't turn over. Tries like hell, gets one or two fires and dies. Also does not provide further codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Nope all in good working order and as long as the key is in the ignition and turned on I can shift to neutral, turn the wheels etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

'03 Audi A6 quattro 3.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A6 quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just me and I've turned the key with and without my fingers crossed. No discernable effect.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything else.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Audi
12/17/2017
Audi Mechanic: Audi0405, Technician replied 4 months ago
Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician

Good afternoon you stated you replaced the plug also on the coil ?? is the correct if so why was the plug also replaced ??

Because I was unsure of the precise cause of the cylinder 5 misfire. So I figured better to save time and trips and replace both parts.

Did you make sure you put the correct wires in the correct wire terminal in the connector ??

This modle of Audi has the ignition coils on a rack so getting the order mixed up is basically impossible. All plugs are seated pretty solid, though one plug shroud snapped off the connection is solid.

I know but since you stated that you replaced the connector on the coil am making sure you wired the connector correctly with the correct wires in the correct pin location on the connector

Oh no i just replaced the spark plug and the ignition coil, not the coil plug.

Oh ok just making sure , do you know if you have fuel pressure ???

There is half a tank of gas in, not sure how else i would tell aside the fact that when i turn the key there are a couple of revolutions but it doesnt keep going.

Did you have a fault for the cylinder #5 like a p0305 ?

I think so, the ECM reader just said "cylinder 5 misfire" with the usual load codes present for a bad ignition coil/plug

Ok just making sure , the next step will need to check is fuel pressure remove the fuel line off the fuel rain and have someone crank the vehicle and see if you get cranking fuel pressure coming out of the fuel line this will show you if you have a faulty fuel pump which is the most common issue since you stated that the vehicle cranks but does not start . Replacing a coil should not cause a no start issue unless you blew a fuse which i also recommend you check before you check fuel pressure. I hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback/star rating for the help thank you

Audi0405
Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician