Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

I am in need of information on automotive oil: 1. How much…

Customer Question
I am in need of...
I am in need of information on automotive oil:1. How much does one quart of 5W-30 synthetic motor oil weigh in grams and what is the source of your answer?
2. Why do auto manufacturers weigh the oil when conducting oil consumption tests? Why don't they use volume measures?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Audi
12/13/2017
Audi Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

I have not ever in my 35 years of experience ever heard of manufacturers using oil weight when measuring oil consumptions. Where did you hear this?

Audi did so when measuring oil consumption on my car

I am not aware of Audi process for oil consumption and will opt out for an Audi expert to get you the answer you need. Please do not respond or answer locks to me and wait until another expert contacts you.

Audi Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 2 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

it weighs 800grams, +/- a few grams. https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-to-weight

weight is used because volume changes with temperature.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating

The website did not list 5w-30 what weight did you use and why. Also synthetic was not specified...does it weigh the saqme as non-synthetic?

0w30 weights 798, and 10w40, 5w40 weights 802. that is what I used. yes the weight is the same. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

One last question... before the oil consumption test the technician filled in: "Oil quantity according to ElsaWeb" and then listed the car's oil capacity and what the quantity equaled in grams. What is ElsaWeb?...is it Audi's database?... and does it give a fixed conversion factor from quarts to grams for the oil before starting the test?

it is audi's database of repair instructions and technical info. It gives info in volume and weight. I do not know the exact conversion factors it uses. As the question has been answered, please kindly click on a positive rating.

did you have additional questions?

Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert