Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Loosing coolant fast. no leaks. I've been told it need a…

Customer Question
Loosing coolant fast....

Loosing coolant fast. no leaks. I've been told it need a head gasket since I'm getting spark failure codes on one cylinder.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

Only what I've said before. Still getting the error code after coil on that cylinder and all spark plug wiring has been replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

2004 a-4 with 1.8 cc turbo. Also burning oil, i've heard this may be the turbo. are these related?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Turbo?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried nothing so far. Don't want to waste money

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That'll do it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Audi
12/11/2017
Audi Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you are losing coolant and there are no external leaks then that usually does mean you have a leaking head gasket. Have you removed the spark plug from the misfiring cylinder and checked to see if there are any signs of coolant in the cylinder and or on the spark plug?

A shop just changed plugs, wires, and misfiring coil. I wasted that money.

Unfortunately, that is likely true if the head gasket is blown, before they replaced any parts they should have ran a compression test on the misfiring signal as well as a block test to determine if in fact the head gasket is blown. The next correct step is to determine which cylinder is missing and check the compression on it as well as running a block test to test for any signs of hydrocarbons (exhaust) in the cooling system which there should be if the gasket is leaking.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician