Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

CALLING ABOUT SHIFTER PROBLEM ON A 2007 XC70 VOLVO. DO NOT…

Customer Question
CALLING ABOUT SHIFTER PROBLEM...

CALLING ABOUT SHIFTER PROBLEM ON A 2007 XC70 VOLVO

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

DO NOT KNOW, BUT IS LOCKED IN PARK AND IT DID SAME LAST WEDNESDAY AND AFTER GETTING IT OUT OF PARK IT WORKED FINE, PARKED IT YESTAEDAY AND WENT OUT THIS PM AND IT IS LOCKED UP AGAIN

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES IT IS DRIVEWY AT HOME, THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING AND BRAKE PEDAL MUST BE PRESSED AND WHEN I PRESS THE BRAKED YOU CAN FEEL A CLICK ON SHIFERLIKE IT IS TRYING TO RELEASE.HAVE PULLED AND PUSHEDIN DIFFERANT COMBOES TO NO AVAIL

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

THAT IS ABOUT ALL I KNOW, I HAVE NOT CHECKED FOR FUSE BUT BING HOW SPORRATIC YHIS HAS BEEN I CAN'T BELEIVE IT COULD BE FUSE

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Audi
12/11/2017
Audi Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Audi Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Does the brake lights com on/off when you press the brake peda?

Audi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If you do hear a click from the shifter when pressing and releasing the brake pedal then the brake interlock is working electrically, but there may be a failure in the shifter preventing it from releasing. You may also have a bad shift cable or an internal problem in the transmission.

Were you having trouble moving the shifter before this happened?