Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Best Buy put in an after-market Sirus radio into my 2004…

Customer Question
Best Buy put in...

Best Buy put in an after-market Sirus radio into my 2004 Audi A4, shorting out the computer system, which I replaced. Turns out it already had a SAT system but the after-market job left the car radio without either SAT or am/fm reception. Disc player works fine, and sometimes I can get a little fm in major cities. Where and how do I get this fixed without risking another blowout of onboard computers?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

It is a Bose system that came with the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing myself; just can't get the right repairman. The Best Buy fools were able to screw up the car antenna to put in the needless Sirus system so I assume it can be fixed without taking out the whole radio and dash. HELP!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Audi
11/17/2017
Audi Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Mechanic

sorry for the delay.........
I am sure you are aware of not to return to Best Buy & they should be held responsible to return your Factory System back to normal.......
That said, you may have to Replace the Factory Unit, IF you are not sure that the work Best Buy did may have affected the Factory System.
Audi Dealer "should" Test & Program the Factory Unit IF any type harm or disturbance to the Factory System occurred.
Original Software needs to be checked prior to any Factory Unit Repair
VAS 5051B, VAS 5052A, VAS 6150(A/B/C) or VAS 6160 diagnostic tool is required for reading the vehicle control unit data and sending it to the SVM server (also called an "SVM communication").

How it works:

When a specified/actual comparison is performed, the actual part numbers and actual software versions in the vehicle (the "actual" data) are sent to the servers. This "actual" data is compared to the "specified" data stored for the vehicle in the CARPORT database.

The specified/actual comparison will document any changes that have been made to a control unit's hardware part numbers and software versions, if they are valid supersessions. It will also inform the user if the changes are accepted or rejected.

When a new control unit is installed, the specified/actual comparison calculates the coding and new parameter data set. If a "hardware change suggestion" is given, a conflict exists within the vehicle reference for the control unit (SVM expects a different part number or software version).

Additional Information:

SVM will not allow a new control unit to be installed if it has an older version of the software, even if the control unit has the same hardware/software part numbers. In this case, SVM will suggest a hardware change, and a CARPORT reference must be manually set by an Audi Product Support Engineer but only if an SVM code for software update is available after the reference is manually updated. (In such cases, contact TAC for assistance).

If any hardware changes are suggested as a result of an SVM code being executed, a new vehicle reference will not be set in the CARPORT database (in order to prevent any bad data from being documented). As a result, repeat coding and/or parameterization suggestions may be given with all subsequent SVM communications. It is recommended that all hardware change suggestions be resolved before any SVM codes are entered. Once the hardware change issue is resolved, the SVM code must be run again in order to set the reference.

This process is complete when a message appears explaining that no further actions are needed.

apprx 1 hour labor

.

Otherwise a trip to a Local "experienced" Mobile Stereo / Electronics Shop would be best for Aftermarket Radio to be installed'

.

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works,
You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping..
I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses..
Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issue is resolved..

hello?

as I said above, I got the blown computers fixed. Need referral to reconnect original radio antenna near Williamsburg VA.

strange....you didn't ask about a referral near Williamsburg VA in your original question
I would not have wasted your time if you had, as I know "no one" in VA

thanks