Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A8L, dead battery, ignition key stuck in ignition. I can't…

Customer Question
A8L, dead battery, ignition...

A8L, dead battery, ignition key stuck in ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I can't access the battery in the trunk

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

Daughter's audi, a8L, about 2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 200 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I cannot remove the ignition key. How do I get the trunk open?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Audi
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Audi Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the key not turning back all of the way to release it to remove it?

Let me know,thanks Pete

I can turn the key right and left and return it to the center. But it will not release.

Unfortunately the web site will not allow me to place a call and should be contacting you on this.

Do you have a second key at all?If you do insert it into the trunk cylinder near the license plate and turn it to open the trunk to access the battery to jump start or recharge it.This was a design flaw.When the battery is dead the key will become stuck in the ignition which in turn unable to remove the key to use to open the trunk cylinder to access the dead battery.

If you do not have a second key you can try to connect jumper cables to the alternator power post under hood hooking up the positive jumper cable to it then hook up the negative cable to a good metal ground point in the engine bay area.

Here is how to access the battery once in the trunk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drb1wgr4ekizq4i/j-11-14.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdlab1c1ct1xai7/ju-11-14.gif?dl=0

The post to connect a jumper to on the alternator is #1 below.It can be tough to access as it is at the bottom of the engine on the passenger side.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p3ls1o0xsnvtty/alt-11-14.gif?dl=0

The only other options are to obtain a cut valet key from a dealer to get into the trunk or contact AAA to come out and use their tools to get into it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete