Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was wondering if I can get my radio code with my VIN? Yes…

Customer Question
Good morning, I was...

Good morning, I was wondering if I can get my radio code with my VIN?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the battery been recently disconnected? Have you checked the manual or the glove box for the radio code?

Yes and yes:)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

TT Quatro 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TT yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I called the dealer and they said they need to take the radio out to get the code.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Audi
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Audi Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 5 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

What they told you is false.

I am so sorry your radio is not working, due to security reasons, for
your protection we are prohibited from giving out the code to your
radio. This measure is put in place to prevent thefts, and we want
to keep you and everyone else safe. But the good news is, you can
get the code from your dealer for free by showing proof of ownership.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

No I already told you that he said he could not give me the code..I already knew this and better not be charged for this!!!!!!!

What they told you is false. Think about it, if that were true, then any time a radio is stolen, the thief has the code right on the radio? I don't think so.

deliver bad news:)
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Well my mechanic already told me to call them and prove its my car and get the code..
So I knew that, until I called and they said no.

They're wrong, talk to someone else down there. Whoever told you that is 100% wrong. I'm trying to help you here. I do this every day.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

They say they haven't been able to do that vis the VIN in atleast 7 years...
They need the radio to get the code.

The reason they're doing this now is because they know they can since the laws have changed. Now they can get you to pay up when they know good and well they are lying to you, shame on them.

Try another Dealer, maybe they will tell you the truth, also, try Best Buy. They may also have access to your code.

I'm sorry they're doing that to you,but it shouldn't affect my 5 star rati9ng for telling you the truth.

Thanks, Ron

once I get the code...How do I unlock the radio?

It comes with the instructions, but there is a number sequence to follow which coincides with the buttons on your radio tuner.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me for my time now and keep our link. I'm confident that I did my part here.

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor