Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

No heat after coming to stop ,,works great while driving but…

Customer Question
No heat after coming...

No heat after coming to stop ,,works great while driving but after droping rpm and coming to full stop it feel cooler again

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

New water pump timing belt thermostat install was told my water pump maybe was the issued but nothing change

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

99 a4 2.8 automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far we done flushing the coolant ,,water pump thermostat ,and also disconnet the ac compresor to get a bit better heat

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes when a disconnected the heater core hoses i dont see that much coolant coming from the hose

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Audi
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2017
Audi Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 5 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. It is very common for those heater cores to plug up, but you could try the bleed procedure and see if you can get it working again. the hose closest to the passenger side has a small hole on the top of it. you pull that hose just off enough to let that hole open. Loosen the coolant expansion tank, and place something underneath it to elevate it ( make it the highest point of the cooling system. With the vehicle cold, start it up and fill the coolant bottle. After a bit, the air pocket should bleed thru that hole, and coolant should start coming out of it. If that doesnt help, your core is probably plugged. You can attempt to back flush it, but thats only a temp fix. Best to replace it if it has any junk coming out of it. Also, that plastic deteriorates and the nipples fall apart, then its definatly replacement time.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

The coolant level its fine also bleed it a few time and i get the same result noticed my only way to get some decent heat was by pouring coolant into the heater core directly and install the hoses but after a good drive and setting the blower to max speed the heat will decrease specially when coming to stopr idle the vehicle for a while but the minute i lower the blower speed and start driving againg i will have plenty heat on low fan speed
Audi Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 5 months ago

I recommend you replace the heater core. I like to use the one with the solid aluminum pipes instead of the plastic. There expensive o.e. and local parts places, but i have found them on ebay for $40-50. Hopefully the information I supplied helped. Please leave me a 5 star rating, if you do not feel I deserve a 5 star rating, please let me know ahead of time and I will make sure I have done all that I can to assist you, thank you.

kyle swart
kyle swart
kyle swart