Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We just did a chat about my Audi TT 1999 roadster about OBD…

Customer Question
We just did a...

We just did a chat about my Audi TT 1999 roadster about OBD not working. Telephone ran out of juice so I try agian now on my laptop

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TT yourself? What have you tried so far?

Dealer tried to read the oBD to reprog keys. COmfort module was not working because water leagae. Dealer computer could make connection with OBD. Changed comfort module. Still no connection

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No everuthing is working fine. Both keys used to work fine and sussnely no remote function.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Damp spot under pedals. Presumably coming from above. Car has left hand drive

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Audi
I made a typo above. Should read: Dealer computer could NOT make connection with OBD.
I pulled the underside of the dash for inspection but everything was dry (rainy weather now). I pulled the paravan to inspect the water flow from under the windscreen wipers. The white box is dirty from rain water coming under the paravan but that seems logical. Or is this a sign of water that should not be there?
I checked pin-out #4 and #16 at the OBD connector. No ground at #16 and no voltage at #4. Checked against other sources of ground (cigarette lighter).
I now have 12 volts at #1 and #16 and ground at #4 & 5 but diagnostic tool still says "no connection". I have the original radio and this works fine. Abs works fine during brake test. ABS light comes on at startup and goes out again because the systems check is OK. So no problems in that system. All lights work, window up and down work, including opening and closing 1 cm when the door is unlocked / locked.
Remote keys don't work.
Just to summarize:
- key remote doesn't work, presumable because of water leakage on to comfort module
- no OBD communication
- Are these two related? Changing comfort module for another one (tested) did not restore OBD communiction. Pins and connectors are cleaned (a couple of pins from the wiring harness were blue with oxidation)
- OBD port shows 12 volts at pins #1 and #16 and ground at #4 and #5
- ABS works fine
- window operation works fine, including 1 cm opening and closing when unlocking/locking the car
- radio is original and works fine
- airbag light is shown at startup as usual and is out again after a couple of seconds
- ABS connector in engine bay does not show signs of water damage or oxidation. All pins clean
- Connectors and pins for the ECU (located next to the clean air filter) are all cleanI hope this helps you diagnose the problem. Or advise me on my next steps to diagnose.
Please comfirm that you have read the above and when you expect to have an answer for me.
Answered in 4 days by:
10/5/2017
Audi Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 10 months ago
Shawn Few

Hey ,how are you
I seen That your post been sitting for a long time without an answer ,I 'm sorry for your long wait without getting an answer till now
I will try to help you on this issue if you have not gotten it resolved yet
Please Let Me Know
Thank You

I have not received an answer yet. Car is now at the dealer for diagnosis for EUR 130/hr. Please respond quickly to help me out.
Audi Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 10 months ago

REPLACE ECU IS YOUR NEXT STEP

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You

Dear Shawn,I much appreciate your tip to solve the problem with my Audi. I am sorry to hear that you don't receive any compensation for answering my question. This surprises me a lot because I had to pay US$ 35 to post the question.
I am not able to rate your service until I have tested the car with anothe ecu. I have bought a used one from ebay. A tested item with guarantee. The exact same OEM# ***** it should ve the right one. Fault codes erased which means there is communication.With kind regardsAd van der ***