Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can't get rid of the service spanner light symbol from

Customer Question
Can't get rid of...

Can't get rid of the service spanner light symbol from dashboard. Audi A3 2010. Have tried all the recommended methods. Local Audi dealer won't remove it because I didn't use them for service

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Don't know what that has to do with this problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Turn on ignition to position 2. Hold right handknob out. Wait till dashes appear on service date. Turn off ignition. Sapnner light still there

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. If the mechanic says only Audi can remove it with a diagnostic tool. I already know that so not much point putting me thorough to your mechanic

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Audi
9/27/2017
Audi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 10 months ago
eric remington

does symbol say anything with it. what does owners manual refer to it as? do you have a pic...is this the oil change service light?

Audi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 10 months ago

I can help you I just want to make sure we are talking about the oil change light? not the ck engine ligh t

No. It is not the change oil light. It is the service due light message (showing on the middle message area) and an accompanying spanner light symbol (showing to the immediate left of the odometer reading). Cannot remove them. According to our local Audi dealer it can only be remove by using the Audi diagnostic tool. Audi can but won't do it because I didn't service the vehicle (2010 Audi A3) with them. The Audi manual says the message and spanner symbol can be removed but when I follow the instructions it doesn't work. Instructions are turn ignition to on position but leave engine turned off. Pull out and hold right side button adjacent odometer reading until service exceeded message comes on. Release button. Pull out and hold button again within 5 seconds and keep holding until message comes on with dashes e.g. --- km. This is supposed to reset the service due time. Then turn ignition off. I've done that many times. It doesn't work. I don't think you can solve this problem for me. I think you will just tell me to go to Audi for them to use their diagnostic tool but they have refused because I didn't service the vehicle with them