Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an Audi Q7 with 155,000kms on the clock, always

Customer Question
I have an Audi...

I have an Audi Q7 with 155,000kms on the clock, always serviced at audi dealerships and always as per schedule. two weeks ago the engine management warning light came on and the engine started making weird noises. It was towed to an audi mechanic and report says 2 fuel injectors have failed and the remaining ones are showing signs of damage and are likely to need replacing very soon so recommended to replace also. i am told this is considered general wear and tear but i am skeptical. It seems very strange that this happens all of a sudden, with no warning and only 3 weeks after a service? I would have thought that a vehicle of this quality would have a far longer life of things of this nature. And if it is a somewhat regular occurance then why is it not recommended to replace after so many km's or at least checked during a service. can any one advise?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

It was the Engine Management System light

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Q7?

Late 2011, purchased new in jan 2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Q7 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. the vehicle has been assessed by a speciallist diesel fuel injection company and they have stated that there is no evidence of dirty fuel. It was then take to audi who have taken it apart and diagnosed it as per my first statement

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Audi
9/23/2017
Audi Mechanic: internal88, Technician replied 10 months ago
internal88
internal88, Technician

Hello, I'm Brandon - Audi tech.

How did the tech test out the fuel?

Did he send it to the lab or just visual inspection?

The injectors typically goes bad due to injector blockage due to tiny particle.

Although there are filters through out system there is a big chance it could pass through.

i dont know exactly but was told it was a full fuel analysis by a diesel fuel injection expert, which was requested by the insurance company to assess if it the damage was caused by dirty fuel

You are not the only. I have customers that have the same problems. We have change out all the injectors due to clogged injector head.

Have you changed the fuel filter?

The filter are suppose to be change every 35k miles.

Do you need anymore help? If not, please rate me positive, thank you!

i havent checked to see if they changed out the fuel filter at the last service but i will when i get the car back. Do you think it would be advisable to request the fuel filter be changed at every service considering what has occured?

Yes it would be a good idea to change it every 35k miles. Therefore it won't happened again.