Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

2007 Audi Q7, 3.6 gas. ECM failed, replaced with a fully

2007 Audi Q7 , 3.6...
2007 Audi Q7 , 3.6 gas. ECM failed, replaced with a fully programmed reman/new board.. had ignition keys recoded at local dealership. Stil a no crank. I have been using a jumper wire at starter relay under cowl on drivers side... the blue wire at relay is not getting 12v when turning key to crank pos.. I'm not sure if that one comes from another circuit or directly from ecm.. the Audi tech and I both think it's prob a connection issue, but cAr was cranking/starting Just fine before ecm failed.. EPC has been on since time of failure, I'm assuming it's directly related to the no crank issue. Battery is 2.5 years old test good, spins engine over like new when jumped at relay... when running car runs and drives fine, all other electrical circuits function fine. Audi tech said only codes present were related to pcm taking a dump, and clears them all. I have a copy of them. We both checked cables ,fuses, and relays under seat and cowling,, everything looks good. Is there a possibility tins is related to the reman ecm and a software issue? I work on diesel trucks on the side and use AutoEnginuity scan tool... for some reason this Q7 won't let me connect anymore , but my buddy that has a shop in town and the Audi dealer had no problem connecting. I'm used to the diesels but this car is a a whole new deal for me. Not having wiring diagrams makes it frustrating. Thanks, Ben
9/21/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi Ben my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be a fault due to the ecm not being programmed properly for your VIN number.If the security programming was not done in the ecm this will cause this fault or incorrect programming.

Since this was not an issue before the ecm was replaced I would have the programming re checked in the ecm to see if it needs reprogrammed again to resolve this fault here.I suspect this will be the cause.

The only other issue since this only occurred when the ecm was replaced is a loose or damaged connection or wires at the ecm itself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks for reply. I'm sure hoping it is a tuning issue vs a wire connection , I have spent countless hours pinning wires on plenty of trucks..so time consuming....I'm going to call the company that I purchased ecm from today and see if they want me to send it back for testing. I had to laugh when I took the old one apart, it actually had water in it, not moisture - actual drops of water ... circuit boards were toasted.. not sure how it was even running prior to failing. So far I have not been able to find any bad ,chaffed, or broken wire connections just through visual inspection... both connectors at the ecm look clean...
Ben

Your welcome

That would be a good idea to have it tested to see if it does have a fault internally as it sounds like this is the possible cause with what is described.If all wiring is o.k. and all fuses are o.k. it can be a fault with the ecm programming or ecm itself.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Sore haven't had time to get back on here .... I have since mailed the reman ecm and both keys back to the rebuilder. They to agreed it's most likely something to do with the security tuning..I sure hope so, it's been down for 2 1/2 months now.. I haven't heard anything back from them yet but will let you know as soon as I do or get the ecm reinstalled in the Q7.. thanks
Ben

Sounds good Ben.Let me know how this turns out and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

We'll just an update.. the rebuilder called a little over. A week ago and said they had went through the tuning software with a fine tooth comb and can't find anything wrong or out of the ordinary... said it is an exact clone of the oem tuning... we sent them a list of all the codes we pulled prior to replacing the ecm, but I haven't heard anything back yet. If I can find them I will post on here. I really do hope they find something obvious, if not that means it's prob a bad wire or connection , or the start switch.... and I can see that looks to be a nightmare to change out ... I'll keep you posted ..
Ben
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician